Coloured Pvc

wtac

I have bought potable (NSF) and DIN rated (German ASTM/ANSI equivalent) colored PVC in the early 2000's made by GF+. Early BK skimmers have the standards print.

Furniture grade PVC is not rated to hold pressure nor does it meet any of the required industry standards other than physical dimensions and base material.

The strength that you speak of is in respect to the external ONTO the pipe, not from within. Akin to trying to trying to crush an egg top to bottom.

I'm not meaning to put a negative light on your business but as an engineer and owned and aquarium design/consult/management company I'm just giving the facts and those that care to read can do what they may with it.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Just my $.02, but considering I suffered a full tank crash years ago due to not paying attention to plastic ratings on water makeup tubs...I would only recommend using plastic rated for aquarium use in our reefs. You could end up with chemicals leeching into your tank quite easily, and how would you ever diagnose that if it's indeed in your plumbing?

...secondly, I happen to be friends with a lawyer that gets insurance companies out of paying claims, and I can concur that what they look for is much more extensive than most people are aware of. Simply, be sure you use the correct materials, the correct construction, and for god's sake get any electrical system you put in inspected. In fact, it might be a good idea to have your insurance rep come by and put a separate waiver on your policy regarding your tank. Insurance companies are scummy bastards, people have no idea how many claims they simply don't pay. A little water damage, no problem...entire basement ruined by salt and mould? Well, just see how closely that inspector checks out your stuff.