Conversion of a 36 inch T-5 to LED

Jewel

Not the same as Boga, but here's the scoop, I acquired a DIY LED set-up, It was built by Torx originally. It was approx. 32 inches long but was cut up into 3 sections. My current T-5 fixture is a Guissman Reflexx 6 bulb unit with 3 cords, 2 bulbs per. It's a great light but it creates a lot of heat over the tank and it's a 240 watt unit. I have 3 Voltage Reducers for it, No fans, But it has a high dome to it, So I'm thinking i'll put the LED set-up in it and run an LED unit. Ist problem, I need a spare light to use before I attempt the switch.

Yesterday I found a replacement T-5, It's not the greatest fixture but I put my new T-5 bulbs in it and it looks pretty good, The fixture has a LED Tube down the middle all RB and 2 switches, it also has 2 fans, everything works but it's a bit noisy.

Now I have to gut my original fixture, I'll try and save what I can. Here's a pic of the Guissman so you see what I'm working on. I know it'll be a slow process cause it's all new to me.

Jewel

Then what would I use for my LED build besides no one will buy it because it's 36 inches also it's a 220 Volt fixture plus I love it, With the legs that you see in the Pic it fits perfect on my 40 inch tank.

Jewel

I know you're thinking? What a mess, but it's all good. The Fixture is a 220 fixture and it didn't cost me much, The Fixture is atleast 5 years old and if doesn't work out I can always put it back the way it was. Wish me luck.

AdamS

Are the T5 ballasts electronic? I bet you those ballasts are good for anything from 120-277V, meaning that the fixture is just as 120v as it was 240v...

But maybe I am wrong

Jewel

The ballast says 2xtl 5 24/39 watt warm start
220-240v AC        0.96
0.40...0.22A        75 c
50-60 Hz              25...+50C
2x23/38 Watt        430v            Philips Electronic Ballast Hf-P  2 24-29 TL5 HO ELL 220-240

Jewel

I doubt that the ballast are good for anything other than 220 Volts, It is amazing the build quality though, very simple wiring and easily taken apart. The other T-5 light that I have was a good replacement It's a Current USA 6x39 with a LED Tube, It has two fans, an Acrylic shield, mounting legs and a Hanging kit, Not sure if I'll sell it or Keep it but for 75 bucks it well worth it and I would of gutted it if not for the 220 Volt, Plus no fans and a lot of heat on the Giessman.

Jewel

I ended up poping the LED off the Cut up heat sink, It was falling apart anyways,They came off pretty easy. Now that they're off, Do I have to clean up the stuff that's on the back of them and do I have to get a specific material to adhere them to a new heat Sink?

Boga

Jewel link said:
So if I find a drilled and Tapped heat Sink do I still need to use the Thermal Grease?
Yes. There are few places online or you can try a local computers store.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

mudsticker

got my heat-sinks from heatsinkusa.com...

i have a 6 foot fixture that is gutted that i'm chopping upinto 4 units...you can just use thermal compound to glue em on...C channel is a bitch to use nthe way you were doing it... i know as i did the same first time...

i'll post pics when i get it started again.

cc

curiousphil

Super Active Member
mudsticker link said:
got my heat-sinks from heatsinkusa.com...

i have a 6 foot fixture that is gutted that i'm chopping upinto 4 units...you can just use thermal compound to glue em on...C channel is a bitch to use nthe way you were doing it... i know as i did the same first time...

i'll post pics when i get it started again.

cc

Jewel unfortunately just sold his LED fixture.

Did you get the T channel heatsinks that are approx 8.5" wide?  That's the same stuff I went with and it's fantastic, so easy to place LEDs on.

Jewel

To Clarify, I sold the DIY LED parts, I still intend on completing the project as I still have the Guismann shell. Looking at purchasing a kit from Rapid LED, A Solderless, controllable kit.