Coral Photography

Chef G

Hey guys recently got a steal of a deal on a Canon EOS Rebel T3 camera. Want to learn how to use it for taking pictures of my tank. Can any experienced DSLR users point me to any guides or threads?

ThePaliga

Best advice I can offer is to just get shutter happy. The more you play with it, the better you get. I started just by shooting my dogs. That was 3 years ago. Since then, I've shot half a dozen weddings, tons of tanks and anything you can think of. DPreview has a ton of info and has a solid community.

Dingets

Though I'm still learning myself (Canon T2i) a good place to start is place the camera on aperture priority (AV) and shoot with the lowest F stop you can get away with to blur your background. Use a tri-pod if you got one, and set the camera to a timer so that the movement of you pressing the button doesn't blur the shot. Turn your pumps off, to cut down on movement. Take a crap load of shots and weed them out on your computer monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bece13

Good advice from previous posts.

I'll start by saying that Photography is all about understanding the light and how to manipulate it to achieve the desire results. Everything else are just tools.

So first, you need to learn what is the “Aperture”, “Speed”, “ISO” and what effect has each one a picture. Next will be the relation between them and how to change them to get the desired effect while keeping a proper exposure. Now, especially for taking pictures under actinic lighting, you need to understand the “White Balance”. Next will be the “Perspective” and how is affected by the focal length of a lens. Also a very important part is the “Composition” (where to place your subject in a picture and how to draw attention to the most important thing in your picture). The theory is not too hard to learn but applying it successfully is a different story. Nevertheless, it will reward you with better and better pictures in the future. Practice, practice, practice.

I hope I’m not offending the most experienced photographers here with this post and please chime in if I forgot something. It was intended to help the people who want to start learning about photography beyond "point and shoot".

Any specific questions, please ask. I’ll try to help as much as I can if I’m not too busy and if I know the answer, or I’m sure, there are more advanced photographers here who are willing to help.

Disclaimer :): I’m not a professional photographer... just another hobby... :cool:

Dingets

It's fun experimenting with the different settings, but sometimes that "automatic" feature is soooo tempting.

Chef G

It's fun experimenting with the different settings, but sometimes that "automatic" feature is soooo tempting.

So dont use the automatic feature? ps this is overwhelming came with all the software cd's might be a bit of a learning curve as I am no photography by any means lol but can tell the reward will be amazing! :cool:. Big thanks to everyone's help and guidance! :)

Dingets

Automatic will focus, pic your white balance, ISO and aperture. By using the other settings, you can really isolate a certain object (ie, a frag) by doing things like blurring out the background. It might also benefit you to manually change the white balance because the cameras have a hard time picking the right setting under LED's.

Also, the lens that come with the camera is by all accounts an excellent lens however you may also want to look into a Macro lens with a low F stop. This lens for example will allow you to focus on an object much closer to the lens

Last edited:

Chef G

So im kinda figuring this out lol slowly but steady looking for some tips and input :) Be gentle im no photographer by any means... Camera I am using is a Canon Rebel Eos t3 with standard lens that it comes with.

Attachments

• IMG_1911.jpg
    IMG_1911.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1918.jpg
    IMG_1918.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1946.jpg
    IMG_1946.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1967.jpg
    IMG_1967.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1970.jpg
    IMG_1970.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 110

Dingets

Looking good. Your sand bed is a tad bit overexposed in the first pic but a lot better in the second. Did you change the settings for the second? I like the pop of colour from your Zoas.

Chef G

Yes I used a custom white balance using a blue textured pic found a guide for taking pics with the blue lights on for better clarity still working out the kinks

Dingets

Nice! Custom white balance. Thanks for the pointer, I might try that.

Chef G

here hold on il find a link its through facebook though, the guys from krakens cove posted it very informative just gotta edit the settings a bit more to find the right level of blue.

Bece13

The other option that you can explore is shooting in RAW format and change the White Balance in post processing as you wish in programs like Lightroom or PhotoShop.