Cordless Drill Recommendations

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
when I sold my house several years ago and moved into a rented condo in Toronto I gave everything away. I have never really needed a drill. But i have been finding it could come in handy. What does everyone recommend? where to buy. I never owned a cordless

Thanks

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
BUY THIS ONE!

https://www.lowes.ca/drills/porter-...-speed-cordless-drilldriver-kit_g1191982.html

If the link doesn't work, just search "porter cable drill" at lowes.ca
31005cb2b3d2f12ecf5e8d04cd51a653.jpg

I bought mine 4 years ago and love it. It's compact and light, but is very powerful. 30 min battery charge time is awesome too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I have never heard of Porter Cable Dewalt, Bosch, Black & Decker and Craftsman but never this brand...

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I personally do not suggest cordless. Especially if you only need a drill once and a while. Cordless is great if you spend the big bucks and take care on the battery. If you are one who only uses a drill once and a while, when you grab the drill, you may find the battery dead and have to wait to charge it etc etc, PITA. I have a DeWalt DW511 corded hammer drill that is probably close to 10 years old and it still works perfect. Its weight is nice and a sturdy build. I used it to dry wall ceilings without getting exhausted, but I can also drill concrete with little effort.

MrHermit85

I am a fan of dewalt or Milwaukie. If you can afford brushless even better. I also went with the 20v max dewalt, great battery life and decent power. I agree with Torx though if you just leave the batteries sitting they either die or run flat. For occasional use can't beat the old corded drills I gave a cheap corded ryobi that I have had for 4 years. Works like a charm around the house.

zoomster

Being in the construction industry I have been through most brands of cordless drills. I love my Ridgid cordless tool kit ( with 1/2" hammer drill.) It is the only one with a lifetime warranty as well. It is available from Home Depot only. But @TORX is right, if you only use one occasionally, it is better to go with a corded drill.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
For whatever reason, the batteries that came with my drill hold their charge remarkably well. If you read the reviews, others have found the same. I only charge the batteries when they are dead. Every time i need the drill it's always ready to go. My point being the batteries do not deplete if not being used.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Lots to think about. When I was in the trades we used Milwaukee and makita. The thing is I rarely ever need a drill. Living in apartments never. But it's nice to have one if you need it. But cordless are so sexy lol

Cliff

Being in the construction industry I have been through most brands of cordless drills. I love my Ridgid cordless tool kit ( with 1/2" hammer drill.) It is the only one with a lifetime warranty as well. It is available from Home Depot only. But @TORX is right, if you only use one occasionally, it is better to go with a corded drill.
+1000. Ridgid ftw

Nighthawk26

What do you anticipate needing the drill for. This should be the first question everyone is asking.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Looking at getting a house this year. So mainly drywall and hanging stuff. But you always have some outside brick work that needs to be looked after. Downspouts, hangers for garden hoses maybe punching out a faucet for the back yard or a receptacle for power for the front. Damn maybe fixing a deck.
But foreseeable future? Drilling live rock and inserting acrylic rods. Maybe resigning my sump and using it. Hole saw to clean up the stand wiring Stirring paint . A drill can come in handy

I worked as an electrician have plumbed bathrooms built fences, decks, rooms installed water softeners. I can be handy

zoomster

S
Looking at getting a house this year. So mainly drywall and hanging stuff. But you always have some outside brick work that needs to be looked after. Downspouts, hangers for garden hoses maybe punching out a faucet for the back yard or a receptacle for power for the front. Damn maybe fixing a deck.
But foreseeable future? Drilling live rock and inserting acrylic rods. Maybe resigning my sump and using it. Hole saw to clean up the stand wiring Stirring paint . A drill can come in handy

I worked as an electrician have plumbed bathrooms built fences, decks, rooms installed water softeners. I can be handy
Sounds like a good quality Cordless drill, if not a kit, may be a handy tool and worthwhile investment for you then.

zoomster

I found black & decker and craftsman to be garbage. No experience with dewalt or bosch.

Dewalt ( and porter cable ) used to be very good tools. Until of course black and decker got their hands on them. Lol
Bosch, Milwaukee and ridged are still top notch tools but pricey for someone who is just looking for a C/L drill for use only occasionally.
IMO.

Kyle1970

I bought the Bosch brushless from the below link last year.
Used it to do our steel roof. Batteries seem to hold up, but given the opportunity, I wouldn't buy again.
Neighbors Dewalt is about half the weight, charges almost as fast and seems to hold up to continual wear and tear.

Watch BC Fasteners they have some great deals and fast shipping.

http://bcfasteners.com/

dale

+1 on bcfasteners,,, i am a contractor and i use drills every day, cordless is definitely the way to go,( i drill holes in 1/2" glass with cordless) a charge will last for days with random use, you cant go wrong with makita, Milwaukee and dewalt, bosh is less popular but usually a good product, rigid is getting popular with their lifetime warranty. any of these products will last many many years with occasional use and is an excellent investment, i personally use makita and Milwaukee

dale

and definitely get 18 or 20 volt, they can do anything a smaller drill can, and a lot more that a smaller drill cant