Curved glass cutting

P

phi delt reefer

i would cut out a cardboard template first then follow that. Make sure you have a super sharp blade and only score once

shipwreck

Glass cutting curves is easy if you have a good cutter. Problem is good cutters aren't cheap I think mine was $70-80. And if you don't get a clean break you need a glass grinder. You may be better off just making a template and having a glass store cut it and finish the edges.

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
Poseidon link said:
Ya the glass store quoted me 120$

No thanks
How much will it cost you if you break it? Or have to redo it?You would be paying for the piece you need. If they break 6 pieces, you will still only be paying for that one, clean edged, curved piece.
Sent from my {HTC X8} using Board Express

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I personally would love to give this a try.

As for price, I would prefer to do it myself. Practice on some scrap glass ( i have a ton out back of my shed) and from there move up to usable pieces. I know it will not be as perfect, and it is only a lid so perfection is not key. But 120$ for something that they will probably be made in 5 minutes or less by a professional is a little too much of a mark up for me to accept (even if it took 30 minutes to cut the one piece, that is still 240$ an hour minus supplies). Cost me the price of a glass cutter and learn a very useful skill. Hell, I will only charge you $80 Poseidon, maybe use in store credit at your place lol.

I went to the glass places here in the past and asked for items such as glass panels and acrylic sheets, however, they wanted 3times the price from home hardware, same company, same sheet, same dimensions.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Haaha
I've got plenty of spare glass

It will cost me nothing to try this

If it really doesn't work out, I have a would sheet that's cut for the top already, ill just cut out holes in it and put glass ' doors ' for access and for the light

Flazky

Website Affiliate
Website
krakensreef.com
In theory it should work...however if you have a large tank im not too sure as this is a relatively small scaled video.

Instead of cracking little by little, along the lengths I would a long piece of wood to evenly pressure the entire curve to get each side in one go. This will reduce the number of possible errors and reduce the number of individual stress points.

Flazky

Website Affiliate
Website
krakensreef.com
In theory it should work...however if you have a large tank im not too sure as this is a relatively small scaled video.

Instead of cracking little by little, along the lengths I would a long piece of wood to evenly pressure the entire curve to get each side in one go. This will reduce the number of possible errors and reduce the number of individual stress points.