Custom Built Frag tank

benzzz

Just thought I would share my first build with anything glass with you guys  ;D

I have built many sumps and acrylic stuff over time and really enjoyed it.

Now I am adding a stand alone frag tank with sump to my collection.

What I decided on was a 48x12x12 size.

3/8 polished glass was picked up yesterday.  :D

One end will have a 3/4 return drilled in the top center ( yes I have drilled glass with success)  :p
The other end I decided on having the glass an inch shorter and an external overflow with 2 one inch drains mounted to the outside  :)
External overflow which  is 12x4x4

As I dry fit everything this morning I noticed the bottom pane was shorter than the two sides, so I called my glass guy and questioned what he did.  The family business I deal with have been cutting glass and fingers for 30 yrs.  Jason's reply to my question was  that his dad said he chose to cut the glass so the sides will not rest on the top of the bottom pane but will adhere to the sides of the bottom pane. the end pieces will rest along the sides of the bottom pane as well.

After assuring me they have built tanks using this method rimmed and rimmless  I had never heard of this type of build. SO when I got off of the phone with him I did google to see. From what I found it isn't as common but nowhere states that it will not work.  So I guess that's the way I will assemble it lol.

As far as return pump, circulation pumps and skimmer go, I am still sorting out my choices, Lighting will be MH 14k with T5 Actinic supplement.

Any input or comments are welcome.  will be taking pics and such as I go along.

Thanks !  :D :D :D :D

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
It's not that uncommon for a tank. I believe teebones tank has a floating bottom like your talking about. Sounds pretty sweet man.

benzzz

Sorry guys just trying to find the time to start this project.

Funny because my glass guy said the same thing. He believes it is a stronger build too.

Will get some pics and updates as soon as I can find the time.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
my tank that was brand new and burst a seam had a floating bottom....... Just throwing that out there

benzzz

Update,

Picked up bulk heads and most of the plumbing needed to get the ball rolling. I am going to drill the glass for the 1 inch bulkheads for the external overflow this weekend.  I still can not decide to drill the other end for return. Was thinking 3/4 threaded bulk head with loc line return flow.

benzzz

Now I was going to drill the return for the 3/4 bulkhead to hook up the loc line

Turns out I cannot find my bit for drilling 3/4......  I have no idea where it went. May have lent it out over time perhaps and forgot about it.... not sure.

Looks like I may be on hold until I order another one and wait for it to come in.

Sucks !!!!

benzzz

So after a trip to see Long at MJC yesterday, he lent me a 38mm bit to drill my return. I have one on order and hoped it would be here last friday but I guess next week will be delivery.

So now I have the overflow box done and the return finished. Now I can start to assemble the tank and let it sit for a few days to cure.

Pics of today's progress

benzzz

Update,

So I am waiting for 1 end cut of glass for frag tank which should be ready to pick up next week. I have gathered a few things though. I picked up a new Bubble Magnus curve 7, A 33g long 4 foot tank for sump, egg crate, Tunze ATO and 2 Tunze Nano streams for flow.

Going to start assembling stand and work on sump for now.

Thanks for following along peeps.

Happy Saturday !

Jewel

benzzz said:
Update,

So I am waiting for 1 end cut of glass for frag tank which should be ready to pick up next week. I have gathered a few things though. I picked up a new Bubble Magnus curve 7, A 33g long 4 foot tank for sump, egg crate, Tunze ATO and 2 Tunze Nano streams for flow.

Happy Saturday !

Where did you get the plastic Frame? looks Primo.

benzzz said:
Update,

Happy Saturday !

Where did you get the plastic Frame? looks Primo.