cycling tank????

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stacey

So I am completely new to the saltwater life. I am currently trying to cycle my tank and I am so lost on what I should be doing. The tank is set up and running. My levels are 20 ammonia. And 0 nitrate. And 0 nitrate. The salt is good and the pH is good. What is my next step.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Wait ... Then wait.... The test ... Once your Ammon is gone nitrite is gone and nitrates are measurable .. The tank has cycled...  Good to start adding fish slowly. 

S

stacey

I have some snails and crabs in there now. When do I add the fish. After the levels are down or during the cycle.

dale

i would put a pinch of flake food every other day or so,, it will help prepare for a bioload./ jst my opinion..

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Hi Stacey:

Here are two good sources for cycling your tank that should, hopefully help answer your questions.  The big thing to remember is not to add any fish until your ammonia is zero and your nitrite is zero. Here is the first one: http://www.thefragtank.ca/forum/index.php?topic=6.msg8#msg8  Here is the second one : http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/cycling.shtml.  Personally, I used the ammonia method because I didn't want anything to suffer and I didn't have live rock or live sand due to my seahorse setup (my first saltwater tank).  I cycled my Reef tank the same way and it took approximately 6 weeks before the tank was ready to have any inhabitants.  You may find your snails and crabs will die during the cycling process unless you know someone who would be willing to keep them for you untill the cycle is complete.  Good luck and keep asking questions  :) :)

S

stacey

So my ammonia is 0 but nitrites are 5 and nitrates are 160. They have been like this for a week now. What should I be doing??

spyd

Super Active Member
How long has your tank been running? Do you have a skimmer going at all? That will help reduce the nitrates. A full cycle takes a good 6 to 8 weeks.

S

stacey

Yeah I have a skimmer running and I started the tank on December 26

S

stacey

Is this normal. Cycling tank ammonia level at 0. Nitrites at 2. nitrates at 0

spyd

Super Active Member
So far so good. Nitrites are very toxic so wait until they are gone completely. You may see your nitrates go up a little again and then drop down. I would say another 2 weeks or so and you should be ready to add a couple clownfish or something in your tank. I would also start checking for phosphates. The sooner you detect them and do something about them (Using bio-pellets or GFO) then you can avoid the potential algae blooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.