Daves 120 gallon SPS Dominated Tank

davesolo29

Super Active Member
I have been reefing for about a year and a half now.  Been through several tank upgrades since.  I think this will be the final one for a couple years so its time to do it right.

My tank consists of:

120 gallon display.  60x18x26 with 2 drilled custom overflows
55 gallon sump  60x12x17
sump is divided into 5 sections.  one for top off water, one for drain, skimmer and heaters, one for a fuge, one for DSB, and one for return pump and ATO float valve.
Skimmer is a Reef Octopus NWB150  great skimmer but i want to upgrade to the 250
Return pump is a Mag 18
Lighting is an older TEK 6 bulb with bulbs that all need to be replaced (next on my list) with a LED strip for moonlighting
2x koralia 1s and 2x koralia 4s for movement.
2x 3/4 returns split into 4 with loc-line
BRS 5 stage RO/DI
approx 250lbs or eco-reefer rock
1" crushed coral substrate
6-7" bahama sand DSB in sump

fish in the tank consist so far of only 2 clarkii clowns
1 blood shrimp that i am most likely permanantly babysitting for Derek(spyd)
3 hermits
a few dozen snails.  mexican turbo, black turbo, trochus, nerite, and nassirius

Corals are all SPS with the exception of a couple of random zoos and palys.  also a huge gsp covered rock used to seed my tank.

I will try to get some pics tonight when the lights come on.  Stupid Camera has been acting up on me lately.
Hopefully someone can help ID all the corals (mostly frags) that i dont remember or was never told the names of.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
picked up a few new fish today.
a beauty sohal tang.
real nice copperband butterfly
yellow tail blenny
couple of cleaner shrimp
and a RTBA

got a couple pics of the sohal and copperband.  the copperband is very comfy in his new tank.  may take the sohal a bit longer.

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

davesolo29

Super Active Member
and a couple of pics for you to see Rick
not the best quality, but you get the idea.

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

the last one was looking real rough a week ago.  looks a bit better now.  hopefully i can bring it back

davesolo29

Super Active Member
teebone110 link said:
Looking good Dave, where did you get your new fish from?

That chalice frag looks like its doing well!
8)
Got some of them from Aquariums by Design here in KW and some at SUM.
those two chalice frags have been thru hell.  I used to wake up every morning to find them face down in the substrate, and come home from work evening to the same thing.
I have been doing quite the searching to ID it as it was originally sold to me as a 'purple plating monti'.  It wasnt til Rick and I were out yesterday that i saw something similar and Rick told me it was a chalice.  Im still not certain what it is.  It plates like a monti, and doesnt like to touch rockwork.  Any chalice i have ever seen likes to engulf the rocks.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Who out there is lucky enough to have ever had a copperband butterfly that eats aiptasia?  Im pretty sure i have never seen one....til now.
My new copperband has just about wiped out the half dozen or so small ones that i had/have in the tank.  Also, im thinking he eats bubble coral too.  I have a monti that had a few small bubbles on it that look like they have been eaten.  Unless its the blennie that did that.

C

Carmenh

Look up Hollywood Stunner.  Does it have really long sweepers tentacles at night?  I have a huge one, it grows really fast, and it's VERY aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
crazybizzle link said:
lets see a full tank shot..love the sohol

...but never underestimate the EVIL that the Sohal can become...have had mine for a long time.  Beautiful, interactive, tough as nails (one night he decided to eat/destroy a large finger leather, spent three days lying on the bottom of the tank with a huge distended abdomen...dead meat? A week later right back to normal), anything that challenges him gets torn to pieces (literally) before you can do anything. Love/hate yes a fish you have a relationship with... The best thing that worked for mine was getting him his very own manservant (a cleaner wrasse) that follows him around preening him constantly and an auto feeder that frequently drops bits of food to satisfy his need to graze 24/7.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
AdInfinitum link said:
[quote author=crazybizzle link=topic=2225.msg17630#msg17630 date=1330531169]
lets see a full tank shot..love the sohol

...but never underestimate the EVIL that the Sohal can become...have had mine for a long time.  Beautiful, interactive, tough as nails (one night he decided to eat/destroy a large finger leather, spent three days lying on the bottom of the tank with a huge distended abdomen...dead meat? A week later right back to normal), anything that challenges him gets torn to pieces (literally) before you can do anything. Love/hate yes a fish you have a relationship with... The best thing that worked for mine was getting him his very own manservant (a cleaner wrasse) that follows him around preening him constantly and an auto feeder that frequently drops bits of food to satisfy his need to graze 24/7.
[/quote]
what are you feeding yours?  i am having difficulty getting him to eat.  mostly because he is still afraid of the stupid clarkii clown that is the dominant fish in the tank.  he hides from him too.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
That tank gets Omega One marine flakes with garlic, new spectrum pellets, spirulina flakes, Frozen mysis, bloodworms, enriched brine shrimps, raw (obviously) pacific white shrimps, mussels, Fresh gracilaria (when I have some to spare). Lots of variety, Sohal eats everything, more omnivore than vegetarian like some other tangs. Small feedings often is key for them, possibly more mentally than physically lol 

davesolo29

Super Active Member
So...after seeing how aggressive and territorial the clarkii clownfish are, i decided its time to get rid of them.  I called Stace at Aquariums By Design and he is gonna take them.  Now to decide what to replace them with.