Dead Dog...

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Dam Glen. Strangely enough I was discussing this with one of my neighbours last week. He's got a big Dane. He uses a similar collar when on leash but nothing at all in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Yeah, I used to only use the prong correction style collar on walks (these dogs can really pull when they want to), and always took them off after a walk. Then someone at a pet store, or it could even have been my old vet convinced me I was being a monster and that I should use martingale collars instead and that they could be left on because they are so comfortable... Here was the little one's mouth a few days after the swelling went down, she had to go in for x-rays to see if the jaw had been broken... Her whole face had blown up. When it happened and I came in the room there was just bloody meat I could see, I thought she had killed him and wouldn't let go of her "kill", I didn't know she was locked to his collar. Had to cut her loose with tin snips.

Attachments

• mouth.jpg
    mouth.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 79

davesolo29

Super Active Member
I used the prong style for a little while. Retrievers are known for pulling also. Then I switched to a halti. They hated it but it sure did work well. Unfortunately we don't do any winter walks. Backyard and private dog park for us. When spring comes I'm going to have to re train them on the leash.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
We do 10km walks a lot of nights, so there is no time for stopping. I have a halti here, but it only works on one of them, the male thinks it's a swingset or something, he'll walk on hind legs for blocks, ripping my shoulders out the whole time.

I use really short, loop leashes. I think they're 24" long and 3" wide, and I def am back to the prong collars. The dogs stay right at each side, and we just go. If they're good, I let them off leash for the last few blocks back to my house (there is a huge public area out back).

davesolo29

Super Active Member
I use 6ft leashes. But.. I tie a loop in the centre of it so it essentially becomes a 4ft and a 2ft combo leash. 2ft for walking, 4ft for pooping.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Heh, no pooping on my walks. One time the female pooped while she walked, I felt a bit bad about that. But man, dogs will stop at every stick, twig, lump and rock if you let them...

heath

Distinguished Member
oh Glen, my heart goes out to you... I have been breeding and showing goldens for 20 + yrs and the only collar that I will use is the martingale, mind you my kids only wear them when they are on leash.. be patient with your girl, lots of love will bring her around and it shows in the video how much she is loved and that's great that you have given Jax a LOVING home..
Dave, you mentioned about the Halti, please be careful using them, they are now discovering that it causes vertebra issues in the neck, have you notices with some dogs, their heads are turned to the side in an unnatural position. There is one style that attaches to the collar that isn't too bad..
No piece of equipment is fool proof. Hope that I am not offending anyone with my comments..

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
yeah after cutting one off a dead dog,i can say with some certainty that I will never use one again, and hopefully my vid keeps others from buying them. I can't argue that they aren't good for walking, but it's too easy for people to just leave them on. I read up online how many dogs are strangled with them every year just being snagged on a branch, fence etc, because they are so loose. Even on walks....

I'll stick with prongs. The dogs don't pull on the lead with them, and I would never leave them on a dog out of my sight...

and of course, no offense taken at all.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Yep, I was upset for maybe a day or two when my dad died, but when I had to put my one girl down due to bad kidneys... well I'm still a wreck and it was over a year ago.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Some of you know I had an accident with a dog last year, just got around to doing a little tribute/warning thing. Basically a FUCK YOU to companies making martingale collars.

Sorry for your loss. Magnificent looking dog.

heath

Distinguished Member
I still cry when I look a pictures/videos of my dogs that have been gone for years.. I love all of my kids but, sometimes there are ones that touch our hearts in a special way..