Dendros or Sun Coral??

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gietz

Buddies of mine (who are very knowledgeable in the corals) see this coral fresh out of th ocean and bought it for me. it was 40 bucks (store deals because they buy for stores out in belleriver) got it in TO and they are 100% sure it dendros!!  I myself am not sure and its been in the tank for about 20 hours.  I acclimated for 40 mins as i was nervous because this coral is from the ocean and i never acclimated one from there before. 

other than ALK my tanks measurements are fine.

why is it not opening? maybe because it is from the ocean and takes longer to adjust?  i just feed some of the heads pellets and they ate them!!!  maybe my placement?  middle of tank and not in shady spot?

any help with this guy would be great and if you could id what it is that would be great too!!  its got red mouth with yellow tentacles

thx

C

copperkills

They arent opening because they are likely sun polyps.  Try target feeding after the lights go out.

C

copperkills

well, i have a 32 head Bright Green Dendro colony im fragging soon...ill trade you head for head if you like

G

Gietz

copperkills link said:
well, i have a 32 head Bright Green Dendro colony im fragging soon...ill trade you head for head if you like

ill hold you to that lol
but im still not sure its a sun coral.  some picture lead both ways!!  its hard to tell and with it but grabbed out of the ocean and in my tank within a week that sould be why it isnt open

C

copperkills

I have seen many claims that there are orange and black dendros.  I have yet to see any.  The black and orange "dendros" I have seen are sun polyps that have been propogated and "trained" to feed during daytime hours....Im not sold that anything other than shades of green dendros exist...

G

Gietz

yes but dont dendros get bigger (polyp size) than sun coral

G

Gietz

It does thx Bill, for others information these were bought at reef raft and they confirmed dendros 100%.  If they were sun coral they would have opened up in the dark right? And as of now they are still the same.  Either way I guess I'll keep them and when they open up bigger il post pictures again

B

Bill@IA

Gietz link said:
It does thx Bill, for others information these were bought at reef raft and they confirmed dendros 100%. If they were sun coral they would have opened up in the dark right? And as of now they are still the same.  Either way I guess I'll keep them and when they open up bigger il post pictures again

Not necessarily. Sun Coral, Tubastrea sp. open when they sense food is present, whether it be day or night. Night time just happens to be when their food source is most abundant. That said, if you feed Tubsatrea sp. everyday at the same time eventually you will find it opening as it approaches that feeding time.

:)

G

Gietz

So it's safe to say that if it only opens during feeding time or when it sences food it's a sun coral, if it stays open it's a dendros?  Also let's say it is a dendros, it is not open now but could that be because it's still getting use to my tank?

C

copperkills

throw em on the sand bed..IME dendros dont like intense light. Mine have maintained their neon green colour while on the sandbed. I have approx 24"" below 150W MH's.

P.S..I have fragged my dendros if u still wanna trade.

G

Gietz

I'll try the sand bed, thx for the tip!!  And the only problem is your in London and I can't make it out there lol.  You said you had a green dendros tho??

Status
Not open for further replies.