DerekL's 100% led lit mixed reef

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
DerekL link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=5994.msg62713#msg62713 date=1380753077]
I like the last one, what's it called ?
Ultimate bonsai. Yes Glen I love the wicked colours you get with LEDs. It's definitely one of my favourites in my tank. I hope they do good too all my other acros and sps have been doing awesome. I ordered a few frags from Tony and Long at Mad Jelly Coral a few weeks ago and the sapphire tips acro has also fully encrusted over the frag plug and is showing growth on the tips as well as the deep blue tenius. And the mystic encrusting monti has even spread almost 3/16". I am loving my LEDs I never seen this kind of growth with 8 48" 54 watt T5's when I had my 75 gallon. And the colours are just awesome.
[/quote]

Truth be told, I never got any kind of good colour with MH, T5 or PCs.  That said, I was doing so many other wrong things at the time, it's a shame I wasted all the electricity. 

curiousphil

Super Active Member
LEDs do an awesome job of making corals pop.  I've taken pieces home and had them immediately look totally different just by dropping them under my lights.  The starfish I brought home yesterday for example, looked like a dull orangy-red under T5s and almost glowed a scarlet red under my LED system.  I love LEDs and am definitely glad I decided to go that route.

DerekL

I love when people tell me LEDs don't grow SPS coral. I ask them what LEDs they are using? They then tell me they use metal halide or T5. So how do you know LEDs won't grow sps? I tell them well if LEDs don't grow sps to come to my house and see. Even on the lfs owners here in Windsor argues with me. I just kinda laugh and tell him of coarse the marineland reef ready won't or the fluval LEDs that you sell won't but as a store owner you should know. I won't ever look back LEDs from now on for me the growth and colours I get is just awesome.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
leds rock, your tank is nice man, looks great.

DerekL

Thank you for the compliments. Been trying to get my gfo and carbon reactor dialed in. I had it off my mag 12 but the reactors use 1/4" od tube so by the time it got to my reactors the high cap gfo wasn't tumbling. The normal gfo was fine anyways I ha another smaller pump 350 gph I tried and even put that pump in my skimmer chamber next to the reactors no luck. Grabbed a mag 9.5 gonna hook up when I get home. That with one of those small ball valves for that tubing better work. Here's a few pics of the whole tank as is is now

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
sweet photos, you should use photobucket and post full size photos right in your thread.. good job man.

Boga

Excellent work Derek. Keep it up!
Just going to the first post, where you mentioned that you may upgrade to IN180. If that is the case then you may need to adjust the first two baffles in your sump, or upgrade to a bigger sump.

DerekL

Tried running the vertex in the 2nd chamber but when my ATO would come on the fluctuation of water depth pissed the skimmer off and would overflow the collection cup. So back to the ASM. Believe it or not the skimmer works really well. I am looking into the Orphek helix skimmer. I talked with the orphek sales rep told him my sump design and he assured me it would work in my sump. I just thought I would post a couple more pics as I bought a few pieces of coral from ChuckM over the weekend. Just got back from Chatham thanks Phil now I have a reactor that tumble my gfo properly.

spyd

Super Active Member
Nice shots! love that Wrasse! Are your SPS on the sandbed?  It kind of looks like that in the photos. The pieces look browned out and could definitely use some higher light.

DerekL

Yes they are but the one is green and tan the other one is purple but the pic was taken with no lights on at all that's why it looks brown.

DerekL

spyd link said:
Nice shots! love that Wrasse! Are your SPS on the sandbed?  It kind of looks like that in the photos. The pieces look browned out and could definitely use some higher light.

Thank you. Yeah my wrasse is my favourite fish in my tank. Those pics of those stags where taken with no lights the one is a purple and the other green with a brown undertone. I will move then up tho was acclimating them to my LEDs. I apologize if I came across like an ass with my other reply. I should of mentioned tho that the pics were with no lights just the flash of camera.

spyd

Super Active Member
No need to apologize. I didn't catch that it was with lights off. That definitely would make a big difference. Lol. For stags, they will be able to handle high light so I wouldnt be afraid to move them up. Love that Umbrella by the way. I had one for years and it was awesome!

DerekL

Once my tank matures I will be going sps dominant. But for now I had moved stuff I had in my 29 gallon bio cube and added a few other things for the time being.  The leather I got from my neighbour it was literally the size of a loonie a year ago.

Bfofre

Great.... Now you've got me having buyer remorse over my brand new T5 system expected to arrive Thursday!  I sure hope I like it!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

DerekL

Bfofre link said:
Great.... Now you've got me having buyer remorse over my brand new T5 system expected to arrive Thursday!  I sure hope I like it!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

You can't go wrong with T5. I had been researching LED's for many years and was looking at retro fitting the hood of my 29 gallon bio cube with led retro from Steve's LEDs when the wife decided that she wanted a bigger reef tank again. The Orphek Atlantik was for me my best buy seeing as only one pendant was needed for a 90 gallon tank. She is now talking about doing a 260 gallon built into the wall of our basement livingroom. When we get around to that build I am either going to go with ATI powermodule led or 3 of Orpheks new Atlantik's V2 with dual chip LEDs.