Ca- 400
Alk- 8.0 dkh
Mg- 1250
Salinity- 1.023
Po4- 0.00
Nitrates- 0.00

One tank- t5 lights- old bulbs
One tank new LEDs

I can't get rid of these stupid things and it's very frustrating, everything is doing ok, even getting growth and colour on my sps frags but Zoathids arnt opening up and it's starting to cover corals.

Not sure what to try or do next. Any suggestions are appreciated.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Could it be that its more empty now? I have gotten a bit of brown slime/dinos everytime after frag swaps, I think its from all the slime coming off corals possibly.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
unibob link said:
Could it be that its more empty now? I have gotten a bit of brown slime/dinos everytime after frag swaps, I think its from all the slime coming off corals possibly.

yea its the emptiest its been in awhile,

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Boga link said:
I think Ultra Algea X was formulated especially for Dinos, as the label says \"Speziell gegen Dinoflagelate\"

I'm not looking forward to dosing something permanently , I feel I've made a mistake: something happened and I want to fix it.... I just want to know what i did... Really not looking to start it over...

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Mine came out of nowhere and more or less disappeared out of nowhere.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1620464
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/
http://166.78.194.236/forums/showthread.php?s=b7f7f450b9c32866fb9313e5de5542e4&t=2054171
http://166.78.194.236/forums/showthread.php?s=b7f7f450b9c32866fb9313e5de5542e4&t=2242939
http://166.78.194.236/forums/showthread.php?s=b7f7f450b9c32866fb9313e5de5542e4&t=2050817

nexusnight

Algea x will do the job no problem.  Not sure what triggers Dino's. Read many reports of them appearing outta nowhere though...... Sounds like a real PITA..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

A

andrew521

I'm thinking about doing a 3 days of darkness on my tank to get rid of Dino's. My question is how will it affect my fish (4 tangs and a clown) and corals?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
the fish are fine with the 3 days of darkness,

i did the 3 days, it didnt do much if anything, within a week it was all back to where it was before,

as of now though it is slowly reducing, i didnt do anything extra, just let it run its course i guess, as a fellow hobbiest told me on here to do...
i still have some but not as bad as before

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
well as off today there is extremely little to no sign of dinos, all my zoas that were closed for months are opening back up and tank is looking clean and neat.... several snails even survived the Apocalypse and the tank looks no worse for wear ....

strange disease/pest i tell you...

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Poseidon link said:
well as off today there is extremely little to no sign of dinos, all my zoas that were closed for months are opening back up and tank is looking clean and neat.... several snails even survived the Apocalypse and the tank looks no worse for wear ....

strange disease/pest i tell you...

Yep, and I hate to say it....but mine came back a couple of times before they disappeared for good, but it was never as bad/long as the first time they took over. 

jroovers

Super Active Member
It is amazing how they just pop up out of nowhere.  I just replaced my sand bed, and my new bed of crushed coral has started growing dinos.  Haven't seen a sign of them in a long time.  Maybe it is because of some silica in the sandbed, supposedly they like that.  I'm assuming that once the sand bed particles get a coating of whatever it is that coats them, the dinos will similarly disappear.  I also plan on vacuuming the substrate regularly too with my water changes.  Glad to hear that they went away.  I think the main thing is to not try and panic and over-react and do something drastic. 

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
jroovers link said:
It is amazing how they just pop up out of nowhere.  I just replaced my sand bed, and my new bed of crushed coral has started growing dinos.  Haven't seen a sign of them in a long time.  Maybe it is because of some silica in the sandbed, supposedly they like that.  I'm assuming that once the sand bed particles get a coating of whatever it is that coats them, the dinos will similarly disappear.  I also plan on vacuuming the substrate regularly too with my water changes.  Glad to hear that they went away.  I think the main thing is to not try and panic and over-react and do something drastic.

Yea I was tempted to rip my tank apart, but I am
Happy it didn't come to that.