Disheartened.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Some of these pests were acquired during my early stages like the aips, and i have never been able to get them under control, ive tried aip x, peppermints, cbb, vinegar. The HA started after my tank switch so i couldnt avoid that one to much, and the bryopsis sneaked in on a frag plug that i bought from a vendor here on this site. As for pics of the thousands of dollars in corals i can gladly do that and even price each frag out individually if you dont believe me. I have 3 pieces tht cost over 1000, so its not hrd to believe that there thousands of dollars in coral in my tank :). If youd like proof just pm.me and ill be happy to prove it.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Have you tried the nudibranch for the aiptasia? Hair algae is solved with sea hare. Byropsis is a pain in the ass and I can't help you with that one, besides manual removal and nutrient control.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
Some of these pests were acquired during my early stages like the aips, and i have never been able to get them under control, ive tried aip x, peppermints, cbb, vinegar. The HA started after my tank switch so i couldnt avoid that one to much, and the bryopsis sneaked in on a frag plug that i bought from a vendor here on this site. As for pics of the thousands of dollars in corals i can gladly do that and even price each frag out individually if you dont believe me. I have 3 pieces tht cost over 1000, so its not hrd to believe that there thousands of dollars in coral in my tank :). If youd like proof just pm.me and ill be happy to prove it.
im not looking for proof,only observing,like i said,not bashing or flaming just observation
and offering a few points of advice

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Yeah ive tried berghia aswell, they all died. A sea hare will be the next option, since these turbo snails arent doing much for it anymore. And your def right about the bryopsis. Im going to attempt tech m again, but need to order from reefsupplies because its like half the price of what stores around here sell it for.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Have you tried the nudibranch for the aiptasia? Hair algae is solved with sea hare. Byropsis is a pain in the ass and I can't help you with that one, besides manual removal and nutrient control.
Ive even read that bryopsis will flourish even in tanks with low nutrient levels.

heath

Distinguished Member
did you check out some of the video's on u tube? I just did that it seems like there is a lot of good info on treatment and I think that the bottom line is that there has to be good husbandry and a good cleaning schedule...

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Yeah ive tried berghia aswell, they all died. A sea hare will be the next option, since these turbo snails arent doing much for it anymore. And your def right about the bryopsis. Im going to attempt tech m again, but need to order from reefsupplies because its like half the price of what stores around here sell it for.

Why did they all die? What I would do is introduce them into your system in a fish box inside your tank. Put some rock with aiptasia in there box and let them go at, this is better to ensure they find a food source right away and keep them "full" until they can find them in your tank. I think you should try the nudibranch again.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Start with one problem and then move on to the next. Easiest is the Hair Algae. Get your sea hare (I may have one) let him go to town, remove him once done and see what happens. If it grows back you have a nutrient sink in your rocks and your going to have to strip the PO4 before it has a chance to grow back (harder said then done in a established tank).

Then move on to the Aiptaisa with the nudibranchs.

Then move on to the byropsis (maybe by this time your nutrient levels are good and manual removal and nutrient control will eradicate it).

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Ive even read that bryopsis will flourish even in tanks with low nutrient levels.

At this point your tank is nutrient rich as evident by your hair algae problem so in your specific case you CANNOT rule out byropsis growth is NOT a result of high nutrients (your tank is high). I don't agree that byropsis is not a result of nutrients, after all it is a plant. Its needs something to grow

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
id love to see pics of thousand dollar frags,post em so we all can enjoy
Lol no thousand dollar frags, just thousands in frags. RK Volcano chalice 400, RR Jawdropper 350, RR Pretty in Pink 350, Hallucination zoas 400, RR Red Diablo 150, RR Pink Floyd 100, RR Orange Passion 150, JFOX Outrage Monti 150, RR Wolverine 100, Vivids Rainbow Delight 100. Those are just some of the designer pieces, not counting the everyday acros. Pics tofollow when i get a chance.
Why did they all die? What I would do is introduce them into your system in a fish box inside your tank. Put some rock with aiptasia in there box and let them go at, this is better to ensure they find a food source right away and keep them "full" until they can find them in your tank. I think you should try the nudibranch again.
I think they all died because they didnt find food fast enough? Or my wrasses ate them.
Ill def have to try the sea hare.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
At this point your tank is nutrient rich as evident by your hair algae problem so in your specific case you CANNOT rule out byropsis growth is NOT a result of high nutrients (your tank is high). I don't agree that byropsis is not a result of nutrients, after all it is a plant. Its needs something to grow
Oh yeah i def cant argue my tank isnt full of nutrients lol. And yeah i def wont rule out nutrients feeding the bryopsis, just mearly stating what ive read about it. But its growig quick so the nutrients are probably def fueling it.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Oh yeah i def cant argue my tank isnt full of nutrients lol. And yeah i def wont rule out nutrients feeding the bryopsis, just mearly stating what ive read about it. But its growig quick so the nutrients are probably def fueling it.

Thats why I say to do it in steps and rule out the easy things first. Because you have so many issues you need to start with the easiest problem to fix and experiment from there. Only thing you can do is treat and rule things out. By trying to solve all the problems at once you are going to get frustrated and lose your mind (and your $1000 in frags) :D

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Thats why I say to do it in steps and rule out the easy things first. Because you have so many issues you need to start with the easiest problem to fix and experiment from there. Only thing you can do is treat and rule things out. By trying to solve all the problems at once you are going to get frustrated and lose your mind (and your $1000 in frags) :D
I lost my mind about 4-5 years ago, when i started into this hobby lmao. Ill def do that tho. Step by step is definately easier.

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
Bryopsis grows at an astounding rate in high-nutrient reef systems. It is an invasive macro-algae that is not meant to be kept in captivity. The reason it is controlled in the wild is the much higher ratio of herbivores to available nutrients, something you cannot possibly have if you want to maintain a full reef ecosystem on a small scale. High nutrients fuel a Bryopsis problem, but they are not the cause of it. The introduction of a foreign invasive species that happens to thrive in reef ecosystems is the issue.

You can't ever keep the nutrients low enough to stop Bryopsis from growing once introduced without also damaging/killing most of your reef, so it's hard to put the blame on nutrients for that one.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
so sorry to hear of your troubles Riley, I agree with the others, one step at a time and don't let it overwhelm you, you'll get there, it will just take some time, and summer time it's a busy time and we don't always stick to our routine, life gets in the way

Kman

Super Active Member
What do you run in your sump? Any algae like Charo or Caulerpa

Take my approach and look at options like algae that can out compete hair algae for available nutrients. They have the benefit of releasing anti growth hormones that target other algae. You can easily manage this by running carbon in the system. They also help foster the food web, a healthy food web is a healthy thriving reef.

I think nuking your rocks is overkill. As it is at this point in time assumed and not proven to be the cause of leaching Phosphates. Lots of things can be doing this. source water, foods added and cheap carbon. What you hold your replacement water in can cause this. The brute garbage cans leached Phosphates for me so I replaced them with the blue ones and solved my issue. If you have a few sources adding it into your tank it will all compound the problem.

When I problem solve I don't take the approach of what is causing something. I look at what isn't causing it. It will help you weed things out and help narrow your list of suspects.You need to hammer at problem algae from mutable fronts to be able to beat it.

If you do run a sump look at creating cryptic zones in it. It is a dark area that foster sponges and other bethnic life. You can place some rocks as a growing substrate. Sponges soak up phosphates like they are going out of style are great water purifiers. They harbor bacteria that absorb phosphates while the sponges filter the water for suspended particulate matter.

With all the corals you have I would tear down only as a last option. As stability and a mature system is the key to success with corals. I find tanks don't truly take off for at least a year. If you keep starting over you will not reach that.