Dispar Anthias thinks he is a dolphin?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I purchased 3 Dispar Anthias the 27th and yesterday one started swimming in an odd pattern. Sometimes swimming belly to belly with the other anthias and then around them, but in a perfect circle. Even upside down when it goes under. It is only sometimes and is eating and swimming through the column just fine. Is this a normal swimming pattern for them? It is kind of cool to watch, just not quick enough on the camera to catch it. Or should I be watching closely for a swim bladder issue?

jroovers

Super Active Member
Torx link said:
I purchased 3 Dispar Anthias the 27th and yesterday one started swimming in an odd pattern. Sometimes swimming belly to belly with the other anthias and then around them, but in a perfect circle. Even upside down when it goes under. It is only sometimes and is eating and swimming through the column just fine. Is this a normal swimming pattern for them? It is kind of cool to watch, just not quick enough on the camera to catch it. Or should I be watching closely for a swim bladder issue?

That is strange.  Maybe Aaron or someone with more experience keeping fish can chime in for you.  If you have a few of them, and one of them is doing something different than the rest, there is probably something going on with that fish.  Hopefully it is just something minor and it will work itself out.  If it is eating that is a really good sign.  Maybe it is some kind of strange submissive behaviour, anthias do have their own social hierarchy.