Diy Acrylic Frag Tank

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
well methylene chloride is good for chemically welding not only acrylic but egg crate too :D got my black egg crate today thanks to @Nighthawk26 who saved me a drive to hamilton (gotta love how this community comes together) cut the egg crate to size and glued on some feet for risers using 2x2 squares off eggg crate to raise it an inch off bottom. I also made sure my pump and heater still worked after a year on the shelf and rigged up my return line. Come morning ill rinse my egg crate off and fill it with saltwater. Half tank half fresh salt so looks like after 2 years of 0 water change im gonna have to steal 5 gal lmao. :D ..... heres some pics so keep an eye out at the fragshow you will want to visit here.... a little birdy says there will be a big zoa package for a draw prize plus gift certificates (maybe even seahorses) so you better buy lots of those tickets from those nice tft staffers ;)
20160328_195754.jpg
My egg crate legs
20160326_213758.jpg
My light stand. Yes that is liquid rubber i painted it with so come check it out... you might like it :p
20160328_204648.jpg
Not too shabby for a complete diy project :D i should have stayed in schoo.... YOU HEAR THAT KIDS
20160328_204656.jpg
Next pic you will see like this it will be full of frags

kkrawler

I'm totally going to steal your idea. now I just need to try and find some acrylic.

Did you find the 1/4 inch is holding the water just fine, no flexing or anything?

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
I'm totally going to steal your idea. now I just need to try and find some acrylic.

Did you find the 1/4 inch is holding the water just fine, no flexing or anything?

A lot of factors to consider to be able to answer that question.

Height, has a huge effect on thickness required. Longest edge does as well.

And mostly, I have found that even when the right size thickness is used for frag tanks, if the tank is left filled, and used constantly, they still develop a bow to them.

I can sell the acrylic cheaper than the hardware store, and can pre cut, or just build it. Up to you! I also carry solvent applicators, and the solvents.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member

Trust me @J_T is the man to talk to he will have everything you will need better priced too and some of the stuff is hard to find (he just decided to go on vacation before i could ask :p ) .... i just cheaped out if you go 1/4" thick you will want a 1.5-2" euro brace minimum. I went 2.5" euro 3 sides because my back has my pump box reinforcing it. If you dont euro it will probably bow 3/4" at 24"wide and 6"deep. 8" deep would probably crack the acrylic.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I know Steve is a busy guy. I was just bustin' his chops.

But I might seriously take you up on your offer. Should I just contact you through email? I do have the old dust cover here that the new one can be mocked up from.

Sony Xperia Z3

Just think he could custom engrave whatever you want on it. Add an led and would look amazing.

SamB

Super Active Member
Steve is definitely a Renaissance Man and seems to be able to design, build as well as grow amazing corals !
My friends in SW Ontario are blessed to have him as a member on this forum
Having proclaimed this, I wanted to agree that J_T is a builder of all things reef and frag related par none
I have had several pieces made for me by J_T and I guess that I have transported a couple of items here and there too :cool: so feel confident to reach out to him for your acrylic etc needs
Hey, I am happy to drive J_T's creations your way too ! :D

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I picked up a frag rack and a pointer stick. from J_T and he was tempting me about a frag tank. I had to talk myself out of it and walk away quickly. He does nice work and great prices but I really don't need a frag tank. I just think I do

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
I picked up a frag rack and a pointer stick. from J_T and he was tempting me about a frag tank. I had to talk myself out of it and walk away quickly. He does nice work and great prices but I really don't need a frag tank. I just think I do

You totally need a frag tank - really you do! If you get one now, you will be ready for the fall shows, and fragfest 2017!!! Lol,

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
Steve is definitely a Renaissance Man and seems to be able to design, build as well as grow amazing corals !
My friends in SW Ontario are blessed to have him as a member on this forum
Having proclaimed this, I wanted to agree that J_T is a builder of all things reef and frag related par none
I have had several pieces made for me by J_T and I guess that I have transported a couple of items here and there too :cool: so feel confident to reach out to him for your acrylic etc needs
Hey, I am happy to drive J_T's creations your way too ! :D

Starting your media insert right now :)