Diy Drop Off

Thion

So through a series of strange events I ended up with 3 identical 40g tanks. One of which was in good enough shape to use for a display, one was decent but probably fish room/extra and the third was a write off.

I've been interested in drop off tanks for a while but could never see the value in forking out the extra money for what it is so through these happenings I decided to make my own.

I thought of the concept on my own and figured someone must have tried it so I did the old Google approach to see and I only found two guys who did the same but had not much follow up on if it was successful or not.

This is an experimental process and if you have any feedback please feel free to share.

Here is my progress so far;

This was the tank originally
IMG_20200503_120949.jpg

Here are the most recent two
IMG_20200503_121028.jpg

IMG_20200503_121011.jpg

My plan is to add three 2inch strips of glass on the top as a sort of Euro bracing, one on each end and one in the middle for a little extra support as it's only 1/4 inch glass and I don't want any accidents.

Where the glass panels are layed out I'm either going to use paint or a peel and stick vinyl, either option would be black.

The left side at the top I plan to drill and use an eshopps overflow box which will drain down into a 20g sump which I'll be making as well. Still debating on whether or not to drill a 3/4 inch hole for the return or just go over the top(I like this option less due to the bracing, but also the more I drill the more chance to mess up)

I will be making a pretty straight forward stand as well, I might clad in with 1/4 ply or MDF and just extend the one half to cover where the empty part of the tank is instead/as well as using the paint/vinyl option. Not sure about that phase just yet but it's in the works.

I will be updating as much as possible and as soon as there's any livestock in the tank I will be moving the thread over to the members tank thread.

Again, if there's any feed back or things I haven't thought of I'd be glad to hear! Happy reefing all!

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Looks awesome and was one of my plans as well. I was going to do this to a 150. I have a different one planned, just have a few more life obstacles right now.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Fair enough , a 150?! Would be sweet to see !

Thion

Looks awesome and was one of my plans as well. I was going to do this to a 150. I have a different one planned, just have a few more life obstacles right now.

Definitely would be awesome to see one that size. I was thinking about doing it to a 75 but this ended up being free to make so it's the one I'm going with haha

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Definitely would be awesome to see one that size. I was thinking about doing it to a 75 but this ended up being free to make so it's the one I'm going with haha
I think this is a great project for sure.

I personally like the over the up return, if the euro is thick enough then you can drill into it and have the return coming down through that.

73aba89a4cbcce7d6dded7b79f7ef250.jpg

Thion

Got the eurobrace on and drying, decided to drill a hole through the back for the return.
I have my overflow on order, just waiting for it to come in so I can get cracking on the plumbing.
In the meantime I'll be completing the stand and getting the sump finalized.
IMG_20200512_184842.jpg

Thion

Well it's been a slow process waiting for shipping but I finally got my overflow in and I have the tank drilled and currently drying. I'll be doing one last leak test before I start the plumbing. I will be taking a few pics later today with the overflow and return installed!

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Question , what’s the hole drilled out for in the dead space there (2nd last pic easy to see under over flow) ??

Luke.

Distinguished Member
That’s like dead space now essentially now with the “drop off” glass in there right ?

Thion

Yes this was intentional as I had been pondering what would be happening to the air trapped inside of this space.

I did notice as I leak tested it originally and then drained it, there was condensation in the empty space that I could only assume was from the temperature difference between the air inside and the water in the tank.

I did some looking into it and after a bit of research I decided to drill an additional hole in that void to ensure the air pressure wouldn't effect anything inside. And I'm glad I did.

While I drilled the hole. The moment I started to break through the glass into the chamber there was a large release of air pressure.

I don't know for sure if this would start to split the seams of the silicone after a while so I did this as a preventative measure.

(The hole is through the back of the tank/empty space, not the top)

Thion

Interesting , but makes sense. Better to do it now then later.. good call !
I'll be putting a moisture meter in that section so if there is somehow ever a leak into the area I will be notified.
I will be test filling it with rocks and water for several weeks before it enters the house so I'll know for sure if there's any major risks but so far I'm feeling confident in it