DIY plumbing plans

jmbrettler

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
Here are my plans for my return and drain lines.

I want it all to be one solid piece and glued together with the exception of being able to separate it as a whole piece from the bulkheads and from the pumps, so when I move the tear-down will be easy. I wanted to keep a valve on each drain line because I haven't decided if I am going with a dual durso or safe and silent method drain, but want to be flexible in the design to try both out.

Any advice and criticism on the design is much appreciated!~

Oh yes, and I know I am not winning any awards with my drawing ;)

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Spend the extra and use gate valves on the drain. Regular valves are difficult to tune in on. I like your design and I did much of the same. Only on my returns, and T's, I added unions to all of them which covers your tear-down and move issues and can be changed later without cutting etc.

I would add two as noted in the picture

jmbrettler

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
Thank you for your reply!

You are absolutely correct! I will be using Gate valves on the drains and not ball valves! (I was just so excited to draw my plans up I forgot to add them in!)

As for unions, I had already included them in my original design, I have highlighted them in yellow. Do you think it would be wiser to add unions everywhere else?

Thanks again for giving your feedback Torx!

Also, did you run a check valve?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I thought those were unions at the tank. I probably would add one at the base of the Y and then to the T off to the return to tje first chamber as noted in my attachment. As well to the return pump with a ball valve as Pulp suggested.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

jmbrettler

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
Thanks again guys!

Yes, there are 4 unions one for each pipe coming out from the display tank.

If I put a union at the base of the Y, can I get rid of the two unions from under the bulkhead?

Also, I have changed to a gate valve on the main drain line, and taken off the ball valve for the emergency drain.
I have also added ball valves before and after the pump, as per others recommendations.

I think we are getting closer now. What do y'all think?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
is that abs? abs isnt reef safe and isnt reccomended for plumbing, you want the white fittings (pvc)

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
go buy the white pvc potable water piping and fittings.  probably cheaper than all those extra fittings. 

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
He mentioned in a diff thread he bought the wrong ones and was going to bring them back
Most abs isn't reef safe so I wouldn't risk it ( though some ppl do use it)

Jewel

Unions are definitely the way to go, On my present build I didn't use valves but I can control the flow with my DC pump. My Return is a Sea Swirl and you can control the flow with it using attachments, Come to think of it I do have a valve controlling the flow to my fuge. A lot depends on the size of your tank.