Diy Skimmer Neck Cleaner

Quartapound

I've decided that I'm cleaning my skimmer neck too often and would like to automate the process... It's probably one of the most frequent maintenance steps I do right now and I'd like to change that.

I think @Torx is using the swabbie kit.... Can you chime in? Do you still like it? Anything you'd change?

I'd like to diy something using the squeegee method... At the very minimum attaching a squeegee blade to the skimmer lid so it can be spun once a day like this.
SelfCleaning.jpg

Ideally id like to use a low rpm high torque motor to get the job done. Anyone done a diy similar to this?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I personally loved it. I recently sold the skimmer with it installed, however I do plan on doing it again. They used a motor just as you stated. The current model does approx 2 rotations per minute. I highly recommend one for anyone.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

aquaman

I think the idea of manually spinning a squeegee is a really good one . for the amount of time it will take to give it a few twists around every few days is nothin. easier than carrying it to the sink and scrubbing it with a bottle brush. plus I'm running out of space to plug things in!

Quartapound

to be honest I'm very surprised that skimmer manufacturers haven't already figured this out and built this into their design (so we wouldn't have to) ... although I guess it would be harder for them to market the more expensive motorized one....

even a motorized one should be a fairly simple DIY though... once a suitable geared motor has been found.

Nighthawk26

Following along. Curious if anyone maybe has done this with a Lifereef Skimmer. The neck is so small I have no idea if it's doable.