Diy Stand Top Levelling Help?

MrHermit85

Hi All,

I have built a new stand for my 40 breeder build and i must have done something wrong as the top is not perfectly level. The one corner is a little lower than the rest. So I was wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this? Should I put shims in the one corner underneath the 3/4 plywood? Should I just remove the top and try level it? (this could prove difficult as I used wood glue o_O...)

Thanks for the help as per usual!!!

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
stick a level on it if it isnt too bad a peice of foam under should correct it but if its off more than 2% i would shim it and being only 40 gal your ok i wouldnt shim anything over 65 as that weight compresses the shims defeating the purpose

MrHermit85

stick a level on it if it isnt too bad a peice of foam under should correct it but if its off more than 2% i would shim it and being only 40 gal your ok i wouldnt shim anything over 65 as that weight compresses the shims defeating the purpose

That sounds like a safe bet! I think I may use shims anyway just to keep it level. I was told before by marineland that if your tank has black trim baring the weight you shouldn't use the the foam though?

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
all of mine sit on foam and all have black trim lol my lfs uses it under everytank he has not only helps level but insulates the bottom from heat loss and takes away from vibrations and any pressure points that may bent and crack your tanks bottom pane..... must say have never heard a tank manufacturer say not to use foam some even recommend....weird

MrHermit85

all of mine sit on foam and all have black trim lol my lfs uses it under everytank he has not only helps level but insulates the bottom from heat loss and takes away from vibrations and any pressure points that may bent and crack your tanks bottom pane..... must say have never heard a tank manufacturer say not to use foam some even recommend....weird

May sound weird but that's what the rep told me when they emailed me back after asking about it haha. I have always heard different opinions about it but I have seen many tanks with foam under them and many without so have never been too sure. I may try it as it is a home made stand and it seems logical to me.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I'm assuming he means the black plastic rim that actually raises the bottom pane 3/4" above the level of the stand. not just the cosmetic trim type.

I guess that the people who say a tank has to have the bottom pane supported have never put a tank on a steel stand ......

The word used to be that you used foam if you couldn't have the tank resting on the rim only....

MrHermit85

Yeah my last stand only supported the tank along the rim and was floating otherwise in the centre but it was a professionally built stand. But I think I will use it this time round.

Jewel

I wouldn't shim the tank you'll most likely crack it. A 40 is about 400 pounds. The glass in a 40 breeder doesn't sit level on the wood like the frame does. It's best to use Styrofoam.

MrHermit85

I wouldn't shim the tank you'll most likely crack it. A 40 is about 400 pounds. The glass in a 40 breeder doesn't sit level on the wood like the frame does. It's best to use Styrofoam.

Excellent point! I wasn't going to shim the tank though, I was going to shim the stand at the base itself . I did shim the plywood ontop of the stand to level it out but I will be putting another 3/4 plywood ontop of that and then styrofoam below the tank if that makes sense?

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
shimming the whole distance under the plywood is the best way it is how massive oak doors and bay windows are installed after all and weigh well over 400 lbs 1 layer of 3/4" plywood is more than enough especially with foam ontop the foam will level out a 2% slope no problem

MrHermit85

shimming the whole distance under the plywood is the best way it is how massive oak doors and bay windows are installed after all and weigh well over 400 lbs 1 layer of 3/4" plywood is more than enough especially with foam ontop the foam will level out a 2% slope no problem

Great! I got a bunch of shims from HD for $4 and I managed to shim it perfectly level. Thanks for the help!