Does Everyone Love Marineland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
My neighbor took their kids a week ago.  My wife has mentioned it but my instinct was always that they had problems with the animals...wow I had no idea it was that bad though.  Gonna forward this to lots of people...thanks.

spyd

Super Active Member
Unbelievable!!!! Thanks for the info. I will not be taking my kids there after reading that article! You would think there would be a governing body to protect all animals in captivity, that is not privately run. Very disturbing!!! There are places like this all over North America and I can guarantee you a lot are in much better shape. You would think they would have tons of knowledge by now as to how to keep the water in great condition...

B

Bill@IA

spyd link said:
Unbelievable!!!! Thanks for the info. I will not be taking my kids there after reading that article! You would think there would be a governing body to protect all animals in captivity, that is not privately run. Very disturbing!!! There are places like this all over North America and I can guarantee you a lot are in much better shape. You would think they would have tons of knowledge by now as to how to keep the water in great condition...

There is a ton of knowledge on what are and how to maintain proper water parameters. I am sure most of the readers on this forum have that knowledge..........but I am thinking it is not about that.  :?

The problem is much higher up buried somewhere in management or ownership.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Bill will be right unfortunately. The problems for all major companies will be buried higher up in management and ownership...... And I'm sure they will keep the problem buried beneath piles and piles of money.

B

Bill@IA

benner link said:
Bill will be right unfortunately. The problems for all major companies will be buried higher up in management and ownership...... And I'm sure they will keep the problem buried beneath piles and piles of money.

Benner, I don't think this is about about retaining or creating shareholder value. If so, that would be IMO, counter productive. They may have issues generating the revenue needed to properly maintain their livestock. ..but if that isn't the case .....what you are implying may be right ......they have a moral dilemma. :(
Ether way, clearly the wrong people are in charge of the decisions on animal care.

R

reeffreak

I would have to agree with Bills last post , if the money being generated from admission prices , gift shops and etc are not going into the care and well being of the animals ( which obviously we see is not happening ) then 1 of 3 things are going on , 1 either the park is not bringing enough revenue to support the care and upkeep for these animals , 2nd the place is bringing enough to support the care of the animals but someone is making a good pay cheque and funds are not going where they should or 3 they just plain old dont care and  maybe they think once an animal in there care parishes they kno they will find another to replace him/her , very unfortunate but I wouldnt be suprised .

On another not I was at the Toronto Zoo recently and visited the Great Barrier Reef exhibit and WOW what a joke that is , they had a huge frogspawn and a very small acan colony in there coral tank with cyano all over the rocks and half dead powder blue tangs . I couldnt even bare to take a picture of it , Ive seen reefs in person that blew that thing out of the water . Knowing the Zoo could potential make that thing amazing from the amount of  money that they have available is depressing I felt bad for the people who paid to go see it , I was very excited to see it  but was let down , knowing that if I had the chance to re-do that tank with the expereince I have in the hobby ( which isnt much 6yrs ) you wouldnt even be able to compair it . I think most the problem would be the people who work there do not know how to care for them properly I seen student aged kids working there , summer job to them .

Anyway you look at it , its very unfortunate this is happening to these animals at Marineland , probably other places aswell around the world just not brought to the light .

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
That is what I am implying......they are cheaping out on properly maintaining their livestock.....through either short staffing and/or not maintaining proper living conditions for their animals. I am not insisting the staff are the ones to blame because this is rarely the case. I'm sure the math was done on whether it would be profitable to continue with their harsh practices and hope for the best or do what is right and figure out what is causing these animals stress. They made their choice. I doubt the people who are in charge at the top have much for morals because if they were unable to care properly for the livestock then why not close marine land or at least that exhibit.....who would honestly complain if it was because they came forward and said that they can no longer financially give the animals the care they need......they are not doing what is best for the animals IMO. I was saddened to hear about the seals that died during transportation from London, Ontario but this was at least much more understanding circumstances......they tried to find a new home for them because they knew their fate would soon resemble those at marineland. Marineland kept their animals knowing what their health was and knowing they cannot provide properly for them.....and kept charging for admission!

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
reeffreak link said:
I would have to agree with Bills last post , if the money being generated from admission prices , gift shops and etc are not going into the care and well being of the animals ( which obviously we see is not happening ) then 1 of 3 things are going on , 1 either the park is not bringing enough revenue to support the care and upkeep for these animals , 2nd the place is bringing enough to support the care of the animals but someone is making a good pay cheque and funds are not going where they should or 3 they just plain old dont care and  maybe they think once an animal in there care parishes they kno they will find another to replace him/her , very unfortunate but I wouldnt be suprised .

On another not I was at the Toronto Zoo recently and visited the Great Barrier Reef exhibit and WOW what a joke that is , they had a huge frogspawn and a very small acan colony in there coral tank with cyano all over the rocks and half dead powder blue tangs . I couldnt even bare to take a picture of it , Ive seen reefs in person that blew that thing out of the water . Knowing the Zoo could potential make that thing amazing from the amount of  money that they have available is depressing I felt bad for the people who paid to go see it , I was very excited to see it  but was let down , knowing that if I had the chance to re-do that tank with the expereince I have in the hobby ( which isnt much 6yrs ) you wouldnt even be able to compair it . I think most the problem would be the people who work there do not know how to care for them properly I seen student aged kids working there , summer job to them .

Anyway you look at it , its very unfortunate this is happening to these animals at Marineland , probably other places aswell around the world just not brought to the light .

The most important thing to remember is that someone or some committee is making the decisions at these exhibits......is their decision correct and moral?

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I would state the same......so, then what was their decisions based....?? This is what I would like to know.....the root of the problem!

What would be in the water to cause these effects?? Metals, chlorine, ?? Anyone have any background on this?

spyd

Super Active Member
I agree. The video was saying they were treating with chlorine. Something we all strive to remove from our water for a reason. If they can't provide the neceassry funding to keep their livestock healthy then they shouldn't be in business. These creatures are their business, so you would think that keeping them healthy should be the main focus. And at $40 / person, in a main tourist area, one would think they would have th funds to do so. A governing body should be in place to control this issue. Sounds like a case for the SPCA for animal cruelty because that is exactly what it is.

N

nacho

“All our facilities are legal,” he said.

I would lead towards the fact that revenue is probably not an issue and the owner has likely been paying less to buy new animals than maintain them for years. The fact that he said what I quoted should give away the reality. Even as a child going there I remember thinking how can any decent person keep an animal that large and intelligent in a swimming pool. Living in such a poor tiny environment with all these weird animals watching you all the time. Any intelligent mammal would have a shortened life span just from stress. I believe people that do things like this to animals should be held in a single cell lock up while dogs or some other mammal watches them and makes them do things for food. I remember how many belugas they killed when they were first bringing them in too. Personally could not step foot in there since I was a kid without being overwhelmed by negative energy(similar to the hospital vibe). That said, I assume it isn't too cheap to run an inland aquarium or any aquarium/zoo for that matter. It may just come down to the fact that it cost a lot less when it originally opened to run. Although being by the falls they should have the free power of hydroelectricity. Too bad our traitorous government sold our resources to foreigners. The best part of humanity is the fact that money (which does not exist or mean anything) controls the life, death and evolution of our species and every other species on the planet. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.