Dog ate Advil, HELP!!

AdamS

Ok, so my dog at a bottle of childrens Advil. We took her to our vet who we do not like to begin with, and they recommended going to emergency vet to have her system flushed via IV for 24hours. Emergency Vet won't say how much this will cost, and I know how they like to charge...

I know we have some dog people on here, what should we do?

Currently she is at our vet getting Peroxide (I think?) to make her vomit.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Peroxide is about all YOU can do. It will
Make them throw up for sure. How big is dog?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I was just told 24 hour of IV in emerg usually runs $1000 when your all said and done. Peroxide could get it all out, but if not the High level of Advil can shut down organs. Feel free to send me a txt and I can give you my girlfriends number as she has a vet tech at her work.

AdamS

my best guess is she consumed between 20 - 40mg / kg. According to http://www.justanswer.com/dog-health/31c4m-dog-ate-half-bottle-childrens-mortion.html they have seen problems with dogs as low as 20-25mg/kg. If they induce vomiting and get SOME of that out, hopefully we can be on the lower end of the scale.

the dog (yellow lab) is 12, but in good health. Emergency vet quoted $1000-3000, which will put me in a bad place, but I would be willing to do if I was sure she needed it, and that it would help. I just find that many of these vet's actually just want to make money.

AdamS

Unibob, thanks for the help, sounds like your advice is lining up with what I am being told. We are going to call our vet in an hour and see how the vomting went, then make a decision from there.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Not sure where you live, or take your dog to but I have heard good things about banner rd in the east end and also aylmer.

dale

i dont think that it would hurt a 75lb kid... prob not  a dog...especially if you get him vomiting... prob make him feel very unpleasnt for a while......

dale

sorry,, i didnt read your post.. i didnt realize ibuprofin was toxic to dogs... good luck..im sure he will be fine ,dogs r tough.

AdamS

Yes, so is Chocolate, but mostly the baking kind. One time this dog ate a 2lb bag of baking chocolate, that cost me $2G's real fast.

Anyways, done some more reading

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/ibuprofen-toxicity-in-dogs/page3.aspx indicates that the toxicity for dogs to get a stomach ulcer is 100mg/kg. I estimate our dog took between 20-40mg/kg and if the vomiting works at all, it will lower that number.  I am pretty confident that worst case scenario the dog will develop a stomach ulcer, which we will have to treat. I think our plan is to monitor the dog, and then have her checked early next week for ulcers.

Thanks again guys, I always count on TFT!

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I can't say enough good things about my vet, mt brydges animal hospital...I went through 3 here in town when my dog had kidney issues. They were only place that cared more about the dog than getting $$$. 

They shovel activated carbon into people that are poisoned sometimes.  You think your dog would eat some rox if it was in peanutbutter? :)

dale

i had a dog that ate a bunch of pot cookies.... dunno where she got them  8) .. cost me $900.. they thought she drank antifreeze,  and the cure for that is giving them lots of alcohol... so she was really really stoned and really really drunk for about 12 hrs...

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
dale link said:
i had a dog that ate a bunch of pot cookies.... dunno where she got them  8) .. cost me $900.. they thought she drank antifreeze,  and the cure for that is giving them lots of alcohol... so she was really really stoned and really really drunk for about 12 hrs...
OMG this just made my day. Thank you dale for sharing this.

Best of luck Adam and hope all works out for the best.

AdamS

We have used Arva Animal Hospital, the lady there was AWESOME!!! now she is semi retired and the new girl just wants your money, BRUTAL!!!!

Ok so here is a brief update. Some math and the Advil.com website tells me that 1 bottle of childrens advil contains about 650mg of Ibuprofen. 1 tablet of adults advil is 200mg. WORST case scenario my dog ate 3 advils, but it's prolly closer to 2. So if the vet was good, they would have done this math. If any of you had a 75lb lab (some of you do) and it ate 2 advils, would you even take it to the vet? And if the vet recommended you go to the emergency vet for 1-3 days would you punch her in the ovaries?

UGH, so frustrated.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
AdamS link said:
We have used Arva Animal Hospital, the lady there was AWESOME!!! now she is semi retired and the new girl just wants your money, BRUTAL!!!!

Ok so here is a brief update. Some math and the Advil.com website tells me that 1 bottle of childrens advil contains about 650mg of Ibuprofen. 1 tablet of adults advil is 200mg. WORST case scenario my dog ate 3 advils, but it's prolly closer to 2. So if the vet was good, they would have done this math. If any of you had a 75lb lab (some of you do) and it ate 2 advils, would you even take it to the vet? And if the vet recommended you go to the emergency vet for 1-3 days would you punch her in the ovaries?

UGH, so frustrated.

I would spay her. Hahah

KBennett

I've given my lab advil before.  Didn't hurt him, but it was only one...  If it's only 1 or 2 worth, I wouldn't worry about it. I know a guy whose lab ate a whole box of rat poison.

When I want to get mine to vomit, I use a tablespoon of salt and make sure they swallow it.  Works like a charm.

AdamS

Ive read that the advil will make the dog lethargic and loss of appetite. She is currently trying to jump on to the high chair and eat the babys cheerios, while the older two kids scream at and beat one another. Everything is back to normal.

RYOUNVS

AdamS link said:

UGH, so frustrated.

Ya... I'd say you're fine. My dog would definitely not be having 2-3G's spent on 2-3 Advil!

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Just seen this.... i would watch the dogs behaviour for sure as that will no doubt tell u how they are feeling. Seems like most canines react to medicine in the same manner we do....personally i would wait it out....maybe that seems cruel but i know you are a father with children and family and this is your pet.... $3000 goes a long way for your children and family....you gotta remember that....
I hope the best for your dog of course but as a dog owner myself, whom i love, you just have to make decisions when it comes down to money....it sux...

sunnykita

Super Active Member
hope all is well, if you're concerned about ulcers, you can google stomach coatings safe for dogs and give her something to help coat the lining of the tummy. Yogurt wouldn't hurt her either. Best of luck. Peroxide is a good choice for making them vomit up what they shouldn't have eaten! have had to dose one of mine a long time ago.