Dosing System using Arduino

Boga

As a future project I would like to build a doser.
I am still not decided which way to go in terms of user interface and number of pumps, so I would need your opinions.

A. Built in screen and controls OR web based controls via network (PC, tablet, etc)?
B. 3 dosing pumps +1 ATO, OR 4 dosing pumps +1 ATO ?

Thanks

theyangman

Distinguished Member
What do you plan on dosing?

Most people only add Alk and Cal on the regular and Mg when needed, most commercial dosing pumps (Bubble Magus and Kamoer) come with three heads so that works, but what else were you thinking of dosing?

Boga

For start Ca, Alk and Mg. But I saw models that have five and expandable to whatever. Maybe is good to have a spare? Just in case one pump breaks?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

AdamS

I originally wanted to add a screen to my Arduino lighting controller, but how often do you adjust anything on it? I adjust a few times a year, so I just plug the laptop into the arduino and reprogram. 

With the dosing you may adjust more. Maybe consider doing a stand alone system with a wifi webserver that you could adjust amounts wirelessly.  At that point, you could then easily expand the system to measure temp, salinity, etc, and have it send you emails.

Boga

AdamS link said:
I originally wanted to add a screen to my Arduino lighting controller, but how often do you adjust anything on it? I adjust a few times a year, so I just plug the laptop into the arduino and reprogram. 

With the dosing you may adjust more. Maybe consider doing a stand alone system with a wifi webserver that you could adjust amounts wirelessly.  At that point, you could then easily expand the system to measure temp, salinity, etc, and have it send you emails.

You are right, for lights only, there is no need for LCD or built in controls. I am planning to have a different controller for lights, temp, pH, etc. I want to keep the dosing controller separate in order to minimize any possible software and hardware failures, which could trigger a catastrophe in the tank (overdose).

KBennett

Do both!
I have an LCD and ir remote control.  Use it all the time to show guests what the corals look like under just blue.  I also use it to control powerheads too though.
Lcds are like 10 bucks at Dx.com.  get the iic LCD.  Saves having to use so many io.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
I think an LCD interface would be more simple and suit your needs fine.  You could do a very basic interface that lets you calibrate each pump and then assign a daily dosing value.  Done and done!  All it would need to do.  And the more simple it is, the better, due to reliability reasons like you mentioned above.

To do the web interface and the LCD interface would involve alot of hardware and complicate the unit.  I've got a wifi shield sitting in my parts box and still haven't even thought about how to integrate it.  Well, I've thought of one way, but it involves yet another piece of hardware lol - a shield that has an IDE plug for connecting the LCD and lets you stack another shield on top of that.

Oh and regarding the extra pumps - Google the balling method.  Basically its supplementing lots of individual trace elements and using some kind of special salt.  I think thats what people with multiple dosing units run them for.  As well as the possibility of programming continuous water changes - remove saltwater with one pump and replace with another.

KBennett

Both would be fun, but LCD only is a piece of cake.  Adding a remote control is pretty easy too, and only a couple bucks.   
One word of caution though.  Any power outages or resets and you go back to your declared settings.  For static settings you'll need a memory card chip as well, unless there is some way around it that I don't know about.

Boga

Good thing I posted. Learned a lot. Thank you all who posted.

- I will do the LCD for now, with possible Ethernet in the future (if everything runs smooth).
- For backup during (power failures) I have to use a SD card. Also the RTC DS1307 has about 56 bytes of non volatile memory incorporated, which it can be used if needed.
- Number of pumps: 5 (4 + 1 ATO), expandable to max 8 via outside connector.
- Pump controls via relay module(s).
- Power supply: 12V for pumps, 5V for Arduino.
- Input for ATO

Is there anything else that I should consider?

KBennett

I used a sainsmart solid state relay board to switch power to receptacles for pumps.  No clicking relays that way...

Boga

KBennett link said:
I used a sainsmart solid state relay board to switch power to receptacles for pumps.  No clicking relays that way...

Yep, they look good. Thanks. Unfortunately I bought two classic ones for the other controller. All I want now is to buy a solid state for the aquarium controller and I may end up using one of the old ones in the doser. My sump is in basement and the doser will be there, too, so clicks would not be an issue. I would prefer more silence near DT on main floor.

Jewel

Great read guys, I'm not up on all this computerised equipment but any way you can simplifies your system the better off you are, Hey Boga you know you could put a real big tank in your basement, it would be quite the Man cave.

Boga

Jewel link said:
...  Hey Boga you know you could put a real big tank in your basement, it would be quite the Man cave.

You are touching a very sensitive subject :) There are lot of barriers to win, but silently I am injecting ideas about basement renovation. Honestly I have to figure out how to do reefing and after I am on the good path, then I can ask for more from the General. :)

Jewel

OH no Boga, I hope she doesn't know that!!!. You've got to find a way of incorporating the children into your hobby. Or maybe compronise in some way, When she wants a new car then you gotta have a bigger tank and big tanks needs a good solid foundation, Like a basement floor, Then theres no risk of flooding in the basement. If I had all that room, I'd have a huge system.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Boga, what are you thinking of using for the pumps?  Are you going to completely DIY it and buy the individual peristaltic pumps for cheap off of eBay or something - or go the semi DIY route and use something like the BRS dosers that the controller turns on and off via switched power outlets?

Boga

curiousphil link said:
Boga, what are you thinking of using for the pumps?  Are you going to completely DIY it and buy the individual peristaltic pumps for cheap off of eBay or something - or go the semi DIY route and use something like the BRS dosers that the controller turns on and off via switched power outlets?

I will go full DIY. Peristaltic pumps, arduino and everything else from e-bay. I have one pump on order, so I want to see how it looks (works) and then order more.

Boga

I spent little bit of time to create this block diagram. The Ethernet function is going to be deactivated for start. I will keep the micro SD function for saving settings in case of power failure, calibration data, etc.

Boga

KBennett link said:
These solid state relays don't have NO and NC, do they? Only normal open.