DowFlake

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyd

Super Active Member
I was just wondering if anyone uses Dowflake Calcium Chloride in their 2 part instead of say BRS calcium chloride, etc. The price savings is huge but not sure if it is safe to use or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I looked into this once, and it just seemed to be too hard to find dow-specific, and something along the lines of "there's not good enough quality control to ensure the long term health of a reef system" or something like that.  Basically there can be contaminants because it's not really designed to be used in a fragile closed system like a reef tank.

I tried several pool supply places around here, none of them carried DOW brand so I gave up and went with the 2-part.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I tried to find this at our local TSC store, but they don't carry it, it is listed on their website so I would imagine bigger TSC's all have it. A lot of people use this on reef central without issues, there's been studies on the different brands available and dow flake seems like its the same as all the products sold as 2 part. What TSC did you see it at if you mind me asking?

Royal Aquariums

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
Website
www.royalaquariums.ca
We have been looking into our own line of bulk additives and have been testing these pharmaceutical grade chemicals on our own tanks. We will be looking for people willing to test the products in the near future, if anyone on the frag tank is interested.

spyd

Super Active Member
Royal Aquariums link said:
We have been looking into our own line of bulk additives and have been testing these pharmaceutical grade chemicals on our own tanks. We will be looking for people willing to test the products in the near future, if anyone on the frag tank is interested.

There is definitely a big market for quality bulk additives! BRS is reasonable but the shipping costs are what makes it difficult in Canada. Even with the shipping costs the prices are still reasonable but if you can find a way to get quality additives I would be game. I don't think I have the cojones to be a Guinea Pig though. Too much $$$ in the tank for that!  ;D

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
When I first started dosing, I was using all the DIY stuff....

the alk part: arm & hammer baking soda, pretty cheap at a bulk food store.

the ca part is Dow Flake(calcium chloride)

the mag part is epson salts(magnesium chloride),

there is a 2 part recipe in Reefkeeping magazine, here's the link http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

the challenge with Dow Flake is that they have changed the recipe over the last few years to Dow Extra... there is a controversy that it is not as pure as the original recipe. I used it for 6 months and didn't notice much of a difference before switching to BRS calcium chloride.
You can find it at most pool supply companies everywhere for about 10-20 bucks a bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.