Dr Vs. Lr

Michele

Many of you reefers have upgraded at some point, I am upgrading from my 30g to a 75g.
So here are a few questions:

From your experience is setting up the new tank and letting it cycle a better option than moving everything over all at once?

What have you found better to use Dry Rock or Live Rock for scaping?

I will have to move half of my rock to the new tank because of corals that have already encrusted themselves. Would this cause another cycle?

This upgrade is going to be a slow process considering all the equipment I need to purchase and I do have alot of patients to make this transition. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated :)

Sewerat

Super Active Member
I did a recent 90 to 75 swap. But I had advantage of using same sump. I had water flowing thru both tanks for a week as I slowly moved over rocks from 90 to 75. Once all rocks were moved then came inhabitants and the shut down of the 90. Tank did not suffer any noticeable cycle. That said I recently added about 100lbs of dry rock and tank is now going thru a terrible cyano cycle just like it all did when I began.

My advise would be to follow instructions to cycle dry rock to cure, once it is cured move all rock into new tank and shut down old. If you need help on the knowledge of curing dry rock I posted a very good link once before, let me know I can post it again.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
It can work either way.

I personally prefer to have the new tank set up and cycled fully before moving things over.

As for DR or LR. That's a personal preference. Depends how you want the rock work. Funky minimalist design is always easier with dry rock so you can epoxy/drill and make the shape you want.

Kman

Super Active Member
When I tore down my reef last year and moved it, I took all my corals and best looking rocks out first and set them up in a tank. Then I took out all the other rock and set them up in temporary housing. I then sorted what I had and processed each rock for things I wanted to get rid of. Washed if needed. It also let me see what rocks I wanted to use as my face rock or the bottom layer of rocks in the new setup. I kept the corals set up as I worked on the tank in its new location so I could aquascape my reef tank.

I would use a new substrate with a little of the old. I washed mine when I moved the tank. But next time I would do all new. With a thin layer of old at the bottom of the tank and put the new on top. To help seed the critters in the new substrate. It was not worth the added work washing mine. Washing crushed coral is tedious work for what you get out of it.
Then use the MicroBacter7 to help seed the new bed. You can even keep the corals set up in a temp tank and take your time on the new rock work. That is what I did and will do differently new time.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

Michele

I personally prefer to have the new tank set up and cycled fully before moving things over.

As for DR or LR. That's a personal preference. Depends how you want the rock work. Funky minimalist design is always easier with dry rock so you can epoxy/drill and make the shape you want.

I really like the look of DR and it would be easier to scape before anything is added to the tank. but I think using (cured) LR, some of my water and bit of the sand would be more beneficial for my corals. My OCD would really kick in seeing two different rock colours until the coralline started to form on the rocks! :D
I will definitely let it sit for a couple of weeks to make sure all my parameters are stable before transfering everything over. My 30 will stay set up for a QT after everything is moved over.

Michele

Then use the MicroBacter7 to help seed the new bed. You can even keep the corals set up in a temp tank and take your time on the new rock work. That is what I did and will do differently new time.

If I let my tank sit for a few weeks using some sand,water and LR from old tank would it still be beneficial or necessary to add the MicroBacter7?

Kman

Super Active Member
I like using that stuff to help cycle the tank. It is not 100% needed but it does give you a little piece of mind. Some people still use it after the tank has been set up for years. But you don't have to use it.

Michele

I'm cheap, I used my old substrate and I washed it for days and days and days. did add some new.. trying to be thrifty//

I am pretty cheap myself usually but I have decided that this upgrade though quite expensive is going to take me awhile because I am going all new (when on sale) I was going to sell my first born for my
Maxspect Razors but I found out it was illegal :D

heath

Distinguished Member
I hear what your saying, when I did my upgrade I thought that I had everything covered, wrong.. Its been running for 2 months now and its still a money pit...I know that someday it will be beautiful..good luck with your upgrade,

Michele

I hear what your saying, when I did my upgrade I thought that I had everything covered, wrong.. Its been running for 2 months now and its still a money pit...I know that someday it will be beautiful..good luck with your upgrade,

Thanks Heath, did you have someone help with your pluming or did you do it yourself? I agree money pit! But it is so worth it :) I definitely don't have everything covered but hopefully you and other members will be able to help out when I actually start!

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
There are many ways to be "thrifty" in a build and still not cut corners too much.
Have you considered making your own dry rock out of cement? Great way to save some money and to get some unique shapes.
BTW. Maxspect razors are worth the money imo. That's what I run on my system.

Michele

That might be an option I may consider, I have been down to my LFS getting all my pricing and any cost saving ideas are welcomed. My brain hurts reading up on sumps and plumbing will check out that option, thanks!

reefgeek

My 300 gal display consists of 200lbs of dry with, at most, 2lbs of live. I am at month # 4 of being in full operation and the rock has just started showing signs of coraline growth, copepods and amphipods are already becoming well established, never had an amonia spike (this is likely due to aging the rock in a 55gallon drum for 5 months prior to setup). I used Marco rock purchased on boxing day for ~1.80 per lb so I have saved considerably in that area alone. A little planning and prep and dry rock can be every bit as effective as live rock, at a fraction of the cost.

SamB

Super Active Member
Definitely check this forum and the other ones out there for gently used products such as lighting - often times you can score if someone is shutting down or downsizing etc.

IMO if I was to choose the equipment that I would be least "thrifty" about, it would be lighting and the skimmer. Those are the investment pieces that can make a good tank go to a great tank. :D