Dr Vs. Lr

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Definitely check this forum and the other ones out there for gently used products such as lighting - often times you can score if someone is shutting down or downsizing etc.

IMO if I was to choose the equipment that I would be least "thrifty" about, it would be lighting and the skimmer. Those are the investment pieces that can make a good tank go to a great tank. :D
But even some good deals here atm on skimmers

Kman

Super Active Member
That might be an option I may consider, I have been down to my LFS getting all my pricing and any cost saving ideas are welcomed. My brain hurts reading up on sumps and plumbing will check out that option, thanks!

If you are looking for good deals check out online for sales. The LFS is good but they might not carry everything you needs and you could be forced to get what they have and not what you want. I ended up getting my LED and Apex controller online because anyone local could not match the cheaper price or they didn't carry the hardware I wanted.

Here are three sites i like to shop at.

http://www.petsandponds.com/
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/home.php
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/

heath

Distinguished Member
I totally agree that there are somethings that you can go thrifty on and somethings that you can't..Sewerat (my hero) did my plumbing for me and did an awesome job. my build threat will show you how he did it, " finally" all the plumbing was done is such a way that if the tank is ever sold or needs to be taken down the plumbing can be re-used..It took me about 5/6 months to get everything that I need for the tank. It truly was a labor of love. the tank has finished its cycle and I think now that I will start enjoying it..good luck with your venture..

Michele

Have a look at my build thread to give you an idea of what's involved. If you wanted to try it out. Shoot me a pm. I've got a ton of white cement left that I can give you some to try out.

Wow looks amazing, thanks if I decide to build my own reef I definitely will pm you!! :)

Michele

IMO if I was to choose the equipment that I would be least "thrifty" about, it would be lighting and the skimmer. Those are the investment pieces that can make a good tank go to a great tank. :D

I agree and those are the two main reasons this upgrade is not happening anytime soon. I have the tank sitting in my livingroom, new 75g pre drilled (two hole) corner-flo that I want to switch out to a herbie, recommended by my supper great helpful guy at my LFS.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Michele. I highly recommend drilling two more holes and making your tank a bean animal. One more inside the corner overflow and one on the other side for return myself and Bart have the same setup in our tanks.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
When I do my upgrade I don't even know if I'm going to add more rock. If I do it won't be much. I have around 130 lbs in my 150 now, and 20 pounds in my frag sump. I'll likely add some more of my old live rock to this sump 8 weeks before I install the new tank. Michelle you likely won't need much new rock. Don't forget mail order pet supplies in Hamilton. I buy basically all my dry goods there.

Jewel

Always use new sand, Old sand will have Phosphate in it. A mixture of Dry rock and Live is the best I find, If you have lots of time and patience then Dry rock might be the best way to keep your system free of unwanted pests but if you've taken all that care then I would suggest you have a Quarantine tank and use it religiously for any and all new additions including Fish, Coral, Rock. Everything, Everytime