drain noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
It doesn't need to be through the bottom you can also apply the same idea through the back wall of the tank.

You need an internal box on external overflow box for that to work

You can also try one of the CPR overflow hang on back overflows

Check out my build thread you could see what I did with an internal overflow box. I have 2 full siphon lines running and one open and it's dead silent

Blob-79

Super Active Member
honestly, this fix doesnt have to be a major overhaul

The existing drain can drain what the pump can throw at it, So really it is safe to use as a safety. Run a pipe (flexline if you want) from your overflow box to your sump. put a valve on the line, down by the sump, suck on it to start the siphon, then close the valve, open it till the noise stops, but you still have water going thru the original line. do this and youll be golden. worse case scenario the power goes out, siphon breaks, power comes back on and its noisy again..no worries just start the siphon again. Not a perfect fix, but If you dont want to overhaul IMO this is your best option.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Blob - that is how I am running my full syphon at the moment :)

It does work and if the syphon is lost, it gets loud. Just sucks cuz it normally goes out during the day and I get a txt from my wife bitching becuase it is loud again.  :?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Petercar link said:
Can yu not get a lil Tom air pump amd leave it plugged in all the time yur away, I have to leave mine running all the time for my CPR hob overflow

That sounds like a whole other issue there Petercar. No air should be getting in a CPR overflow in a power outage, they are designed to not break syphon. If you are getting air in there, then there is something else going on that is not good.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Well the pump comes with the CPR overflow      Its suppose to start the siphon when there's a power outage ..if the power goes out and  the pump isn't on it won't start the flowing process to the back side of overflow

J

jones02

Blob thgat sounds like a great idea, it would be behind the tank and not seen then and I woildnt have to worry about anything. That will be my tomorow project and see if it works! Thank a lot!

Blob-79

Super Active Member
If you are going with flexline I recomend using pvc tube to go up and over the tank (2 90's in a U shape) just so u dont have to worry about it falling out. ;D

J

jones02

I still have 3/4 left for my returnn, would that be way to small?

J

jones02

My drain I have now splits into 2 for my fuge, if I make 1 with a full siphon would I still be able to split it into 2?

L

Liquid

What I would do is use the a T fitting like on page 1 from Torx (second diagram).  Put a cap on the top of the tee, drill it, put an airline fitting in there.  Connect that airline to silencer (hey are used on some skimmers)  and they look like this:  http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/jakedk5/skimmer/5d574ad2.jpg.  Then use floss in the sump to muffle the sound of the water hitting in the sump.  I think thats about as quiet as you're going to get with a single back drilled overflow setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.