Drilling A Tank. Vertically

reef keeper

Super Active Member
Looks like I found my tank. Let's hope the significant other authorizes immediate action.

Question is:

It has one hole in each corner overflow. The overflows seems to be big enough for more than 2000 gph which is all I want to run. (7x Tdv).

Should I drill (or have one of you drill) another hole to make it a herbie? Or just leave it and do a durso. I have a durso now on my 150 and it's super silent.

I don't know if I need an emergency.

Because the tank is such a beast, would it be ok to drill it in its "standard" orientation: essentially dilling while the drilled surface is perpendicular to the ground, or better to flip it on its face and drill with the back horizontal to the ground.

It weighs over 600 lbs so it's gonna be a good time either way lmao

And who wants to help me set it up ( including moving down the stairs and onto the stand. Feel free to help move my 150 gallon UP the stairs too...

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Looks like I found my tank. Let's hope the significant other authorizes immediate action.

Question is:

It has one hole in each corner overflow. The overflows seems to be big enough for more than 2000 gph which is all I want to run. (7x Tdv).

Should I drill (or have one of you drill) another hole to make it a herbie? Or just leave it and do a durso. I have a durso now on my 150 and it's super silent.

I don't know if I need an emergency.

Because the tank is such a beast, would it be ok to drill it in its "standard" orientation: essentially dilling while the drilled surface is perpendicular to the ground, or better to flip it on its face and drill with the back horizontal to the ground.

It weighs over 600 lbs so it's gonna be a good time either way lmao

And who wants to help me set it up ( including moving down the stairs and onto the stand. Feel free to help move my 150 gallon UP the stairs too...
How big is it? And how many corners do you have to go around???

reef keeper

Super Active Member
It's 96x30x24 tall.

I would have it on a wheeled cart to get it to the stairs. Then at th bottom I would take the handrail out. Either you guys or I hire movers lol. Free pizza and beer!

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Here's the idea in my head. Hire movers
They would have insurance if it got dropped and broke, if we did it we would simply feel guilty and you'd be put a tank and possibly some friends.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

I used movers to get my big tank downstairs and they brought the same device and were fully insured, no sweat from my end either. Check your prices, as it might be more cost effective to go with movers.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
It's 500 for movers. So maybe you are right. They can do all the heavy lifting and you guys can come over once it's set up and bring me frags. Lol