DVD player selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxmurrxx

Looking for a dvd player to hook up my HD to (usb) so I can stream movies off of...
Was doing this on my PS3 but it crapped out so now I need another player. Looking for something cheap but also one that woks.

If anyone else has hooks a HD into their dvd or blu ray player with no problems can you let me know the make and model.

Cheers.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
bought my kid a dvd player not too long ago at walmart, think its a sony, was only 40 bucks or something

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
So you would copy videos to a usb stick and play them that way?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
It really depends on what you are planning on watching. There are tons of DVD players out there that have a USB, even more readily available are DVD players with SD slots. I have not come across any that can handle a external hard drive, just USB sticks. (yes, there is a difference).

As for the file types, most DVD players with a USB can only play DIVX, AVi, MP3, WMA, etc. They are typically an upconverting DVD player with HDMI output. I personally only download .mkv when it comes to HD 720 shows which is not playable through a USB port on a DVD player.

If I may ask, what is up with your PS3? I currently use PS3 Media Server to stream all media to my TV including music, movies and photos. It is free and have had minimal concerns with it whether wired or wireless. I personally just prefer wired.

xxmurrxx

Thanks for the link, ill check that player out.
Currently i'm mostly with .avi files with my DL limitations, mkv's seem like large files usually.

PS3 problem is with a thing called Cinevia, allows you to play 20 mins aprox then it will mute your sound and pop up an error message about piracy  :? .  I tried the usual fixes out on the net but none worked, and there seems to be no solution other than a big firmware downgrade which will not allow me to play current games. (I still get the error when streaming from my computer to the ps3)
It must have came with a new update or something but it use to work flawlessly... now it's  :poop:

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Hahah I am gettign that now as well.  There is a a sound watermark in the audio.  IF the movie was ripped from a dvd then the ps3 looks at the file and says "Hey this audio stream says that it supposed to be playing from a bluray"  "But this asshole is not playing it from one, I will turn off the sound and watch him curse"
Can get around it but I think it requires a jailbreak of the PS3.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Yes, there is a fix around Cinevia, however it is a homebrew application which requires you to downgrade your PS3 if possible on your firmware version. In some additional reading, it appears that some DVD players now have Cinavia installed on them as well. Check out this Wiki article, it has a list of DVD players that do and do not have Cinavia installed on them. As for if they have a USB or not... that will have to take some looking. If the player has a USB and has Cinavia installed, then you still can not play them even through USB.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
go buy a samsung LCD, you can just plug the drive right into it. everything plays including mkv blueray rips.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i have samsung LED tv and samsung Blueray,both internet network ready with hdmi,i hook computer directly through the network and use Mezzmo,plays all formats directly through either blueray player or tv,i wasnt impressed with the ps3

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Hey pulp mezzmo is good, but look into serviio, its really good. i only use it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.