Euphyllia retracted - NO3 is through the roof

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Yup, added more pellets as they were getting low. I will be hitting up the LFS in the am for a CUC as I noticed today they have a bunch of snails in. Also making water for water changes right now. Skimming like crazy and hoping now.

I had flat worms a while ago and suddenly they died off. I think that was the starting cause as this has been going on for a while, I just thought it was  a 6 month new tank thing. My bad :(

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Torx link said:
no idea why the sps is good, sour apple and birds nest with crazy extension on the polyps. No chance of getting a good photo from my phone though. :/

Don't know what "off the red sea charts" is number wise...

But I am still running @ 40-50 ppm nitrates with good colours and growth from all kinds of sps other than Montis that just do ok. 

When I first changed over from fish and nitrates were 100ppm plus it was not so good.

P.S. I have 2 types of torch from Parksy that are very happy at current levels.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I am around 12ppm currently and going down.

teebone110 link said:
That birds nest is the most hardy sps coral I have had, I don't think it can die, lol

Have you cleaned your skimmer lately?

It has been a little bit since I have taken it out to be cleaned, but only a couple months. Things are slowly looking better with a bunch of water changes. Doing another one today.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Nitrates are lowered, down to 4 now and Euphyllia are starting to recover. I did a 25 gallon Saturday and Sunday, again the following weekend. I will do the same this weekend. Only now my zoas are closing up :s and the kicker...sps has crazy ass polyp extension and showing signs of growth still. Redcap is growing as well. (please note all I have for lighting is Chinese LED's)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Torx link said:
Nitrates are lowered, down to 4 now and Euphyllia are starting to recover. I did a 25 gallon Saturday and Sunday, again the following weekend. I will do the same this weekend. Only now my zoas are closing up :s and the kicker...sps has crazy ass polyp extension and showing signs of growth still. Redcap is growing as well. (please note all I have for lighting is Chinese LED's)

im losing my faith in my china leds... its keeping the lps and softies happy and healthy but the sps kind of seem to whither away under them...
but this isnt what your experiencing by the sounds of it lol

i dont remember (and im to lazy to read back) but are you running bio pellets or gfo?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Yes to biopellets and gfo. But I didnt realize I was only running half of what I should on pellets. Running 2 tlf150 with pellets in it and a diy for gfo atm.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Torx link said:
Yes to biopellets and gfo. But I didnt realize I was only running half of what I should on pellets. Running 2 tlf150 with pellets in it and a diy for gfo atm.

strange.... i wonder why your levels are so high then?
whats your maintence schedule on the gfo look like?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=Torx link=topic=6935.msg71759#msg71759 date=1386272723]

strange.... i wonder why your levels are so high then?
whats your maintence schedule on the gfo look like?
[/quote]

I was only running 50% of the recommended biopellets, no idea why I thought I had the right amount, but I was way off. My water clarity is amazing now as well. Adding what ever snails I can get a hold of as well as what little cuc I did have died off when all this, whatever it is, went down.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Tbh I don't think it's your nitrates that are causing any problems now that they are below 20ppm. Like rob said, things still grow and have good colour with nitrates present.

I'm guessing yours zoas are in shock from the drastic change in nitrates. Should bounce back soon.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
unibob link said:
Tbh I don't think it's your nitrates that are causing any problems now that they are below 20ppm. Like rob said, things still grow and have good colour with nitrates present.

I'm guessing yours zoas are in shock from the drastic change in nitrates. Should bounce back soon.

Yea zoas are tough should be ok
With my Dino's they were closed for months and now opened and are looking good !

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Reef Rafts tanks are high in nitrate and phosphate...but very high lighting and no problems growing and keeping colour.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
unibob link said:

Nitrates were originally off the charts on the high range test. Sitting over 32 but not 64 on a Redsea kit, and that was after my first double dose 25 gallon water changes. It is going on 3 weeks now with that drop and yes, things are looking much better, slowly better, but much better. Other then the Zoas.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Oh sorry, I read they were at 4 earlier in thread.

Either way glad things are looking better.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
No worries, they were 4 as of today, they were off the charts 3 weeks ago. Just need things to turn around so I can start the new year on a good foot and want things to be in order for the next London Fragfest.