F@$kin Ich

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
I just picked up minced garlic. Mix a very little it in with my food at feeding time.

11cfebbe1496a0b3132c2a857890c295.jpg
All i got from this post was mmmmmmmmmmmmm Whisky!

so when you add it do the food you let it soak and then remove it or you put it in your tank with the fish food?

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
Hard to say, but a healthy fish can survive ich. All of my tangs showed signs within a few days of being in my tank. Powder Blue shows signs when ever I add anything to the tank. Feed lots of garlic enriched foods and green seaweed. It may just be coincidence, but I also noticed that longer lights out periods tend to help with signs of ich and stress. I have even blacked out through the day and just left a lamp on in my living room through the night for a few days. I have only ever lost 1 fish from ich. I do do things differently then most though. As some people know, I have added a 2nd large foxface and multiple same body tangs successfully, it is a long process though.
Seaweed is a big part of tangs diet in the wild, so I was told. It also help boost the immune system to help fight against ich. This is what I feed my fish, also mix with other small pallet for smaller fish
IMG_20141129_215209_edit.jpg

chief hill

Seaweed is a big part of tangs diet in the wild, so I was told. It also help boost the immune system to help fight against ich. This is what I feed my fish, also mix with other small pallet for smaller fishView attachment 1259
I went to a local Chinese store and picked up nori sheet for sushi. 100% seaweed. Was $1.25 way cheaper than the store stuff and the fish love it.
6744f2a3cd5869c98ea5e45b144bd50a.jpg

saltyair

Yes just buy nori from the grocery store in the sushi section. It is the same that you buy at lfs.

Just on the garlic be very careful there are studies that to much garlic can harm fish, and no proof it actually helps with ich recovery.
Check this article

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/ich.html

Use nori and high quality pellets for tangs to help boost the immune system.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Garlic doesn't help with ich directly at all, it simply entices the fish to eat , and by eating the fish stays healthy, the actual garlic has no magical
Healing powers :)

And some grocery store noris can have added salt, so much so I read an post once that said it affected his salinity after weeks of feeding a new brand

saltyair

That is crazy about the salty nori ;)
I have never experienced that - nori does come from the sea and would have salt in it. The amount of salt and nori to change the salinity of an aquarium would be massive even if it was 80% salt.
Nori is nori from the grocery store or the lfs - just be sure the only ingredient is nori.

Garlic doesn't help with ich directly at all, it simply entices the fish to eat , and by eating the fish stays healthy, the actual garlic has no magical

And some grocery store noris can have added salt, so much so I read an post once that said it affected his salinity after weeks of feeding a new brand

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Yea for sure, I've never had experiance with it just heard that from
Someone.
A guy told me yesterday the best way to feed seaweed is to soak it in rodi water for a day or two Before feeding it, that allows it to sink and let the fish graze off it on the bottom rather than it just getting blown around and sucked down the drain

saltyair

Yea for sure, I've never had experiance with it just heard that from
Someone.
A guy told me yesterday the best way to feed seaweed is to soak it in rodi water for a day or two Before feeding it, that allows it to sink and let the fish graze off it on the bottom rather than it just getting blown around and sucked down the drain

I put it in a clip and cut little slivers along the bottom so only little pieces come off. Stops big pieces going down the drain.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member

Actually garlic itself does boost the immune system even in humans google it.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
3 times a week i feed my tangs nori sheet stuck in a veggie clip.... i also drip about 1ml of garlic guard on the nori sheet fold in half and let sit for 10-15 min before putting into tank and my 2 tangs are ich free very colourful and allways full... anyone with tangs should be doing this if you want long term success and to go even bigger a couple drops of vitamin additive as well ;). i buy this big bunch for $33 but is a massive jumbo pack

Attachments

• 20141130_164532.jpg
    20141130_164532.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 77
  • 20141130_164527.jpg
    20141130_164527.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 77

sunnykita

Super Active Member

that's good to know Brandon, I hadn't heard that before !

sunnykita

Super Active Member
3 times a week i feed my tangs nori sheet stuck in a veggie clip.... i also drip about 1ml of garlic guard on the nori sheet fold in half and let sit for 10-15 min before putting into tank and my 2 tangs are ich free very colourful and allways full... anyone with tangs should be doing this if you want long term success and to go even bigger a couple drops of vitamin additive as well ;). i buy this big bunch for $33 but is a massive jumbo pack
where do you find this size of package Steve?