Fans for mh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Anyone running fans in their canopies for mh cooling? What size? Cfm? Do you have it running off a separate power supply? Any info pls....

P

phi delt reefer

if you want a quiet fan you will want a 120mm Noctua computer fan or the Gentle Typhoon units from Sycthe. These are the quietest fans on the market currently and push quite a bit of air. Newegg or NCIX should carry both of them but doing a pricebat.ca search will yeild the best price  ;D

You can wire the fans directly to a 12v adaptor (either one of those select-a-voltage ones from the source by circuit city or a 12v only one)

keep the fan cleaned regularly though. if the blades accumlate salt creep then you will start hearing some noise or worse it will get into the bearing and wreck the fan.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Ok how do you cut back on evap. I'm already going they Bout a gallon a day or more.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
I dont think metal halides require fans to actually cool the bulbs. If the fans are being used to keep heat off the water..keeping the lights high enouph away from the water surface is all thats needed. On my MH fixture the bulbs are held in pretty much a sealed compartment glass and reflectors. The only cooling being done is on the ballasts.

Really theres only a few things one can do to reduce evaporation.
1-glass tops over the tank and/or sump
2-turn off your heat or ac and run a humidifier :p lol
3-try to keep water surface agitation to a minimum.

blaked

if u want a sick ass set up with MH, use a "cool tube" its a pyrex tube that can fit 1 or 2 mh bulbs upto 1000
watt sized bulbs, then use a silent inline fan eg.-"vortex" on the cool tube, and your set  !
over 400 cfm for a 250 mh to be safe.

super easy to clean, and u can find the pyrex tubes either at hydropinc stores or bakery suppliers. (u can make bread in the pyrex tubes),

Status
Not open for further replies.