Status
Not open for further replies.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Should I be feeding my torch coral, and other corals for that matter? I have been reading on google that it is recommended to feed coral life via target feeding and would like to know if this is a necessity, recommended or if the coral will be fine on the left overs from feeding the clown fish. (Nutrafin Max) I am assuming that I should feed it. If so, anywhere locally or a decent priced site to get the food?

Blob-79

Super Active Member
I think you may find alot of mixed answers on this. Im sure alot of people will say yes, target feed it, however they dont themselves:p
In all honesty many corals that we procure will do just fine without target feeding. "just fine" is the operative word. We as reef keepers though should not be happy with just fine.

personally I target feed almost everything I have with a mixture of brineshrimp soaked in reef roids, reef roids alone and/or cyclopeeze. On occasion I also feed chopped silversides.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Thanks for the reply. I purchased a Torch (mind you it is starting to look more like a Hammer, still confused) , Xenia, some Zoanthids and a mushroom from rick the other day and never even thought to ask. Do you know of a local place to me (Blenheim) that would have said foods? Or do you shop online, if so, where? I have read of some people making their own food as well.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
No problem, the xenia, zoanthids and mushrooms should all be fine without targetfeeding. The all get most of their food from the zoozanthelate(sp? no clue how to spell it lol) basically they get their food from the lighting, and the nutrients in the water. As long as your skimmer isnt overpowered for your tank ur good. If and/or when you get alot of zoos, youll want to does some iodide, but im sure you have lots of time before that happens.
The torch your talking about, is it a branching frogspawn or branching hammer? I have some branching frogspawn, Im still working on the best food for these guys. I try to target feed them but they dont seem to really take much. they are largely photosynthetic as well.

Just found this online "Feeding of smaller meaty foods such as brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, krill, cyclopeeze, etc will rapidly speed up the coral's growth and stimulate its colors. Feedings are not required however as Torch corals are excellent hosts to symbiotic zooxanthellae. As such Torch corals can live almoast solely on energy of photosynthesis"

edit-ugh forgot about where to buy food lol, I buy my stuff locally in Tillsonburg at the lfs.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I like the sound of "rapidly speed up the coral's growth and stimulate its colors" especially the colors. They are already nice and there are photos [red]HERE[/red]. If you scroll down a ways, you will see the actual frags I bought from rick on Friday. The Xenia has doubled in length since I took those photos. Running at 78F at the moment. The 'Torch' seems to have small hammer heads and are actually more pronounced today then yesterday.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
absolutly, I know just from personal experience, before i started target feeding, all my corals did fine. But for instance i started target feeding, the next day it was totally obvious the difference it makes. Ya the picture of the "frogspawn" looks almost identical to what I have. its not a true frogspawn, but is commonly called such. I prefer the name branching frogspawn. The tentacles lack the nemotosts(sp again lol) that a true torch coral have, at least mine do. Mine also dont make sweeping tentacles at night, so idk.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I watched mine until 1 am and there was no sweeper tentacle that came out. (I forgot about laundry and my wife NEEDED clean work close for Sunday morning). The question still is out there though, before this topic goes off topic too much. Where do you suggest I purchase food locally in the Chatham-Kent area if you know of any? Or do you buy online etc.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
So i bought some brine shrimp and other frozen food (through away the packaging though) and my "branching frogspawn" apparently loves it. It seems to have grown over night. The Xenia went crazy snatching up particles and the clown fish pert near jumped out of the water, it was so happy. I will only do it twice per week as I am only running a 30gal atm and do not want my levels to go too crazy.

D

Dr BlueThumb

Start off real small at first then slowly increase over month's.

Status
Not open for further replies.