Filling Main Display Tank And Sump

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
You need to find stable water for you remaining live stock in your QT, it only 8g so any of use can give you enough water to fill it. Your QT, a sponge filter and a power head to cycle the water should be enough .

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
In the meantime, pick up some "Prime". It will bind with the ammonia and make it non-toxic for the fish until you can get the ammonia problem in the source water sorted out. Your test kit will still show ammonia in the tank but at least it won't bother the fish.

RWH

Thanks for all the great advice and help....unfortunatley lost the last fish this morning....I have cleaned out the QT, refilled with fresh salt water,dosed with Dr Tims, changed up the storage containers for the RO and salt water to Brute "NSF" food grade ones.....

Nothing is going in these tanks until threy have fully cycled properly....lesson learned...

Stay tuned.....

100gallon

Don't forget with the tims you need to add some sort of Kickstart for ammonia...if you have some raw table shrimp (not cooked...must be raw-or even i have heard flake food will work) toss in a half or a quarter shrimp before you add the tims.....hate to see you waste your money..

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk

100gallon

Disregard...I see you dumped it in allready. Still add ammonia source....I used unscented pure ammonia...look it up for full directions. My ammonia levels were stable fairly quick in my dt.

HI BTW LOL!

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I also use the ammonia method of cycling for all of my tanks. I love it because I know exactly how much ammonia can clear my tank in 12 hours before I ever start stocking anything. As an example I cycled my 20 gallon tank to clear 8 ppm ammonia in 12 hours. I did this because I was getting a delivery of 100 dwarf seahorses all at the same time. As you can imagine putting that many animals in at one time can put a huge bioload on a new tank. That tank has never once showed ammonia after putting all of those dwarfs in at once.

Kman

Super Active Member
Flake food works for cycling that is how we used to do it in the old days. You can also drip over some black mollies to full seawater and use them as a cheap option. As a bonus they will eat and algae that grows.

Jewel

Just noticed the pic of your sump. Your Baffles look good in the 1st part of the sump but look a bit high in the return pump section. I'll bet that sucker is pretty full when power is off? Not to be alarmed but I guess you've checked that right?

RWH

Hi Jewel, The picture angle might be a bit deceiving. The black line in the return section is the off level. Its about 5 inches
from the top. I actually tested that a few times to be sure. I also made sure the stand pipes have the siphon breaks on them
as well. Definately do not want a flood....or my better half will put the "Kybosh" on this hobby!

Jewel

Ok that's good, I just wanted to make sure, you'd be surprised how many people have floods just because of that. and yes the wife is another constant in our hobby that requires understanding. Or should I say it's a requirement that has to be met or else. I too have begun to realise that lately LOL