filter sock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
how long before they need to be cleaned and how long do they last until they are junk?

Just curious :)

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Ive been rotating about 6 mesh for a year, they will probably last another year or two,

easy to clean, rinse-re-use and bleach to get clean again

100mcn is best, but need to rinse and change

200mcn lasts for a few weeks

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I use 200m mesh inside 200micron felt.  The inside one catches the bigger stuff (snails and worms) before they embed themselves into the mesh.  Works great, I just get 2 more of each during every bulk buy, I think I can wash the felt two or three times before they're pretty fuzzy, the mesh seem to last forever, but get stiff. 

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I use mesh, 200 micron usually as that's what available from work.. lol. sometimes I use felts but they plug way to quick at my flow rate the mesh ones should be good for life almost as long as you don't tear them.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I use 100 micron filter, rotate them every week while doing water change. Turn inside out and spray with hose.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
chrisstevens link said:
i have 2 on my setup and i have to rinse and clean them daily or they will be overflowing, they are 100 um felt.

really? sounds like you have some high output there,i go 2 weeks when i ran 1 sock and just plumbed in a dual sock so I'm hoping for a longer duration,i use 100 micron from our good friends in Windsor

first pic i was running 2 drains into it,second pic is the new sock i added a few days ago

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I couldn't run 100 micron, they def would fill daily.  I would likely be okay with 100 micron mesh inside the felt.

It's got to be better than my old method of just running it all through bio-balls.  Hard to believe bio-balls were 'new tech' at one point lol.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
pulpfiction1 link said:
no kiddin salty,same with those damn ceramic bio rings,im runnin about 1100gph through my returns

yep, had those running in an eheim at one point too.

Oddly enough with bioballs my nitrates were 10ppm.  No bioballs and nitrates are 0.  For those that say bio balls aren't a nitrate factory, well they're not testing :)

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
lets face it,they were only meant to get rid of ammonia and nitrites with nitrate as the final byproduct,that with regimental water changes and replacement of a percentage of the  bio balls or rings worked excellent,my how things change

Status
Not open for further replies.