Filter socks/floss - group buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

phi delt reefer

Anyone interested in buying some filter socks for their sumps?

If you are - have a look at this site;

http://www.aquariumfilterbags.com/products.htm

we can get;
  • filter socks (mesh or nylon)
  • filter floss
  • mesh media bags (for carbon, GFO, etc.)

discounts are as follows;

QUANTITY DISCOUNTS

• 1-24 - no discount
  • 25-99 - less 25%
  • 100+ -less 40%

Filter socks get a bad name due to lazy people. If you are lazy and dont like maintaining your tank don't bother ordering these - they will harbour nitrates.

On the other hand - there is nothing better to polish out large particulate for everything must go through these bags. I would recommend swapping them out at least twice weekly. Buy enough so that you can swap them out twice a week for an entire month. As you change socks store them in a bucket of diluted bleach water and wash all the socks once a month.

Felt socks are only good for 2-3 washes before they lose their micron rating but can catcher smaller particles. Mesh socks are highly re-usable and maintain their micron rating wash after wash.  

Now this forum seems to have people in London and Windsor and in between. Is there anyone that travels from Windsor to London regularly? If not we may be better off doing two shipments (one to a central distributer at each location).  

Shipping will be split by unit. So we will take the shipping charge and divide it by the total number of items ordered. This way if someone only orders 2-3 socks the aren't paying for everyone else's stuff. I will take everyone's payment via paypal or cash THEN place the order. I will provide my home address to all group buy members as well as my home number and email. Pickup will be at my home once the order is received - if you do not have a car please PM me and we will work it out.

Please advise your location , number of socks, type you want and part number . FYI - one pound of filter floss is considered one unit (for the quantity discount)

GROUP BUY LIST

Vince - LONDON - 16 units of NMO100P3POSS [100 micron nylon mesh - SIZE #3- 4" dia. x 8"]

C

crazybizzle

hey phi i have a unlimited supply of mesh and felt filter socks and get them anytime there a bit larger thou top circle is 7 inches circuference and anywhere from 14 to 30 inches long.  i just cut one in half and fold and zip tie so i get 2 for 1. same ones as anywhere else is selling only thing for me is getting around my car is crap and it hasnt been nice enough to drive my motorcycle but as some ppl on here know if u need some i have them if u can come to me or wait till im in the area i can bring a shit load.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
crazybizzle link said:
hey phi i have a unlimited supply of mesh and felt filter socks and get them anytime there a bit larger thou top circle is 7 inches circuference and anywhere from 14 to 30 inches long.  i just cut one in half and fold and zip tie so i get 2 for 1. same ones as anywhere else is selling only thing for me is getting around my car is crap and it hasnt been nice enough to drive my motorcycle but as some ppl on here know if u need some i have them if u can come to me or wait till im in the area i can bring a shit load.

7" circumferance?....thats pretty small. you mean diameter?

P

phi delt reefer

do they have the plastic ring in them or are they the draw string type?

whats the cost per unit? do you have 100 micron mesh socks?

C

crazybizzle

phi delt reefer link said:
do they have the plastic ring in them or are they the draw string type?

whats the cost per unit? do you have 100 micron mesh socks?

plastic ring type, felt ones are 100 micron's  and mesh are 100-and 200, i usually sell for 5 dollars a piece or if u order 25 or more 3 dollars a piece

P

phi delt reefer

any chance of getting 4" socks? I have a 20 long as a sump so its only 12" wide.  My plumbing has the two main drain lines emptying at the extreme widths of the sump so i cant have them both empty into one sock.

C

crazybizzle

phi delt reefer link said:
any chance of getting 4\" socks? I have a 20 long as a sump so its only 12\" wide.  My plumbing has the two main drain lines emptying at the extreme widths of the sump so i cant have them both empty into one sock.

ill have to check, not sure if this helps but the 4" u wanted ur talking long or circu. of ring? if ring the ring bends and if long u cut the bottom of sock where its sewed..

P

phi delt reefer

4" diameter. Ideally 7 to 10" long but i can adjust that part as you mentioned. If you can get 4" ones I will take 25 of them at $3. Mesh nylon - between 100 and 200 micron please  ;D

Blob-79

Super Active Member
crazybizzle link said:
the 4\" u wanted ur talking long or circu. of ring?

lol bizzle...

circumferance is the distance around the outside of a circle.
diameter is the distance from one side of a circle to the other side, going thru center.

so if you have a 2" pipe. that means you have a 2" diameter pipe. that same 2" diameter pipe has a 6.28" circumferance.

Seggsy

I am having flashbacks to highschool - pi = 3.14 (approx 22/7).  Oh damn, I finally understand Pythagorian theory.....stop making my brain work, it's a long weekend!

C

crazybizzle

lets just say the only thing in school i was good at was sports and biology, plus thats why i dont build anything and get others to do it by my powers of beer propagation and charm hahahha lol

S

shayneh

Not trying to jack the thread but here's a link for diy......if I can do it anyone can...$10 and some of your time gets you a s-load of filter socks... and you can make them whatever size you want.

http://www.randystacye.com/diy_filter_sock.htm

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
shayneh link said:
Not trying to jack the thread but here's a link for diy......if I can do it anyone can...$10 and some of your time gets you a s-load of filter socks... and you can make them whatever size you want.

http://www.randystacye.com/diy_filter_sock.htm

now thats a bargain

thanks

P

phi delt reefer

too bad my wife doesnt sew :( - my mom was a professional seamstress but can no longer work due to health issues.

S

shayneh

I'm sure she'd be happy to show you how.....there is a definite art to using a sewing machine and I screw it up at least once every time I make new filters and my wife has to fix it for me.

LOL it's weird all my dangerous power tools in the garage have guards on them.....it's a little freaky having my hands around a needle moving up and down very rapidly LOL!

P

phi delt reefer

well the issue is that because my wife doesnt sew we dont own a sewing machine. My mom has a top of the line one but that i dont have room for that plus she may get back into it if her physio gets her back in working condition.

Other thing to is the diy ones are made with felt - i want nylon mesh and thats something i am sure i will have to order - especially if i am selective of the mesh i want.

I may still order from that site so if anyone is interested - probably wont order till i get back from Cuba which isnt happening till the end of the month.

S

shayneh

Yes I don't know about the mesh being available at the fabric store.....

I'm a bit envious about your trip....I love Cuba! If you don't drink and haven't been given a huge list already I would gladly pay you for your troubles to bring back a bottle (or 2) of Legendario 7 year rum. It's a sweet rum and I've only seen it in Veradero at the Casa Del Ron. That place is worth a visit free tastings and I swear they want you to leave smashed. If you do drink try it and a Monte Cristo by the pool or at the bar (or both)......mixed with the salt air....aaah! LOL!

P

phi delt reefer

i'll see what i can do. I'm not a heavy drinker and never bring back booze from my trips but the wife is Irish and loves her booze (dont tell her i said that). If we have the capacity i'll try to bring a bottle back - we are more than likely going to Varedaro because its cheap. I havent booked the flight, just waiting till the last minute to save some real money.

Status
Not open for further replies.