First Fish. Already Could Have A Problem.

Goodfight

Bought a chromis and goby a couple days ago as my first two fish. Today I noticed the chromis has a white spot on its head. Could this be ick? Something else?

I'm totally new to saltwater.

6d29d7b85a88ed096b3b78c7a64f723f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I feel like that’s to big for ick , ick looks like a grain of salt , maybe he ran into some rock , it’s normal for new fish to do that at night .

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I agree with probably not ich. Especially on a chromis. Probably a rock scuff or possibly damage that was not noticed from before purchase that is just surfacing now. Keep an eye on it.

New fish can be skiddish, it probably cramped itself in between rocks and lifted some scales. Definitely not Hole in the head, that takes a long time to show the holes.

Goodfight

Update: The next day it also lost its tail and then later that night died. I think it might have been fin rot.

EnzoCosta

Depending on the animals in the tank damsels are aggressive. If there are others they likely had territory already and any newbies are attacked.. this causes fight marks like the one I believe in the photo but also a lot of stress and exhaustion. If you have a new tank and any parameters fluctuate that only adds to their issue. Sadly they pass given their ordeals. As a once new person the compatibility of animals was an important and steep learning curve.

Good luck moving forward. Fish deaths are not good but do happen in newer tanks. Enjoy your tank and the new hobby!

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

EnzoCosta

Depending on the animals in the tank some are surprisingly aggressive. If there are others they likely had territory already and any newbies are attacked.. this causes fight marks like the one I believe in the photo but also a lot of stress and exhaustion. If you have a new tank and any parameters fluctuate that only adds to their issue. Sadly they pass given their ordeals. As a once new person the compatibility of animals was an important and steep learning curve.

Good luck moving forward. Fish deaths are not good but do happen in newer tanks. Enjoy your tank and the new hobby!

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
or may be it could be sand :)

does look too large though

for a tank this young that does not look liek ick at all.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I would guess adding fish too soon. chromis are usually really hardy so who knows

Goodfight

Oh my. I think I'm almost done with my saltwater experiment. The chromis died, the goby is MIA. I bought a pair of older clown fish on Sunday and today the clown has a pimple like white spot? It's a bit red under a single white spot. It's near the head. I tried to get a picture but it moves do much. Still eats like crazy. No ammonia, nitrates or nitrites. It sounds like it might be Lymphocystis? Opinions?
9f4f0ff9e2d70e649e079cebda424de3.jpg
4032c7cf13e3de109d24578600ab1e41.jpg

shamous113

IMHO Slow it down. do you have a qt tank? if so remove the fish and treat. if not get one. let the display tank sit fallow for 72 days and qt and medicate any new fish moving forward. the only thing that happens fast in this hobby is a tank crash.

Goodfight

I don't have a quarantine tank yet, but I can set one up. Treat all fish or just that fish? And treat for what?

If it's in the tank...won't future fish get sick?

I'm sorry. I was ready for algae, but not for all my fish to get sick and die.

I've been freshwater for a long time and never a disease crossed my path.

I found a picture in the Web that looks like it.
babeb6f54ce6cfc9238f87f85acd6ecf.jpg

shamous113

You need to treat all of the fish, and moving forward all new fish should go through a qt to make sure their eating and that they aren't carrying anything. most of the parasites/diseases cant survive extended periods without a host at some point in their life cycle. I'm thinking that it could be Uronema marinum. Very common with chromis. Suggested treatment is copper or Chloroquine Phosphate. But this is one parasite that is very hard to beat. it could also be Brooklynella hostilis. @EricTMah Any ideas?

Goodfight

The plan was to qt in the future but figured since there weren't any other fish it would be okay. 1st lesson learned....

Thanks for the help

shamous113

Be careful and don't over dose the cp,and when you do a water change dose the new water prior to adding it to the qt tank.

Goodfight

I didn't want to wait to get the treatment from online, so I went to the lfs. I used paraguard to treat external and made some food with metro+ for internal. Lps ordered the "New Life Spectrum Powder Ick-Shield Bath Food" in case I need it still. Should be in next week, but she's already looking better. The white spot which was sticking out even more yesterday is now gone and is just a little red patch. Fingers crossed for her recovery

shamous113

If your going to dose the cp make sure to run carbon before to remove the paraguard prior to dosing i'm not sure how it will react. I usually use API General cure with cp but my supply is almost done and its not available in Canada currently. Here is a good link on medication compatibility.