First Frag Tank/Sump Build

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
So I am looking at getting a frag tank set up with a sump. This will be a first for me on both of these.

I would like to do a 40 gallon breeder for the frag tank and a 40 gallon breeder for sump.

Sump idea---something like this(saw on another site)

IMG_0520.jpg

Skimmer-Fuge-Return Pump

What im wondering now is... how big of holes should be drilled? What skimmer would your recommend?

I want to try to do it right the first time so I won't have to change it in 3 months, so all suggestions/questions are greatly appreciated.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
So I have decided on going with a 40 breeder for frag tank, and tore down my freshwater setup and am using the tank as my sump.

photo24.jpg

I will most likely be going with two 1" drains, and one 3/4" return. 

The skimmer im going to be using will be something like the vertex 100.
Return pump- no idea.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Well when I drilled the hole for my return, all went well. But as soon as I lifted it to bring inside, it cracked top to bottom. I am now looking for a new 40 gallon breeder or someone who can replace back pane of glass with a new piece with a 2.5" hole.

It was a frustrating night.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Silicone/acrylic seams are fine for internal baffles or overflows with relatively equal pressure on both sides or where pressure is forcing the joint together (overflow) but a back panel is really rolling the dice....

Keep a mop handy!

BTW my next DIY project involves a 270gal acrylic that someone tried to repair with silicone.  I got it after their focus shifted to renovating the room below the one where the tank had been..... :?

B

Bill@IA

AdInfinitum link said:
BTW my next DIY project involves a 270gal acrylic that someone tried to repair with silicone.  I got it after their focus shifted to renovating the room below the one where the tank had been..... :?

::) WOW.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
That is so crazy. I could only imagine what 270gallons on a floor looks like.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Don't want to hijack Jerry's thread any further...I'll take a few pics (it's out in the garage) and move this to the DIY section along with some pics of a 6x3x1.3 (175gal) DIY acrylic frag tank, improperly constructed, that lasted for approximately 6 months (just long enough for the guy to have it fully stocked with frags) when the side seams gave completely....while he was away (of course)....

At least it was in the basement....

More in a couple of days.......

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Thank you petercar for finding me a tank, thank you reeffreak for drilling the hole, thank you teebone for picking up skimmer, and thank you krazykarl for the skimmer. It's coming together finally.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Instead of using a 90 degree elbow going into my sump I used the straight PVC then switched to a flexible Schedule 40 that they are now selling.  This gave me the option of positionning the tube anywhere I wished and eliminated an elbow.  One sump is set up this way and one using rigid with 90 degree elbows.  Both setups are working fine although the one with the flexible pipe is quieter.  I think it makes more sense to use less elbows on your return to get maximum lift and flow from your pump. JMO  :)

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Always open to suggestions and opinions. I will experiment tonight. Hope to try and get some water in it :)

Also trying to pipe the mag 18 to be return and pump for skimmer.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
photo26.jpg

photo27.jpg

Waiting for RODI unit to make enough water, only have a water depot 5 gallon jug to fill at the moment. Might look into a holding tank.

All comments and critics welcome. I haven't fired up pump so I don't even know if it will work. Crossing fingers.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
nope. my system right now consists of just a oceanic 29 gallon biocube. I like the cube being its own system. That way frag tank can be used as a qt for fish if need be.