Fish died

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleko

65gal of water. With reactors, sump, protein skimmer. Tank has been running 15 months. The water was perfect before I added 2 1" clowns, A 2" mandarin gobie, a 2" coral beauty. After I added these fish one clown died at 3 days, the second clown died a week later. Coral beauty and mandarin are still alive. First clown couldn't be found, I couldn't find the second. Ammonia was reading .50 ppm just as the second clown died. Do you think it was a mistake introducing these four fish at one time? Or is there another issue with my tank?

harleymike

Super Active Member
Clowns are supposed to be a pretty tough fish. Could be the ammonia.  But i had clowns in a tank that was just half cycled and they were fine.

C

copperkills

Sounds like a case of clownfish disease!  Very common!  I doubt its your water chem.  Likely Brooklynella.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Kleko link said:
65gal of water. With reactors, sump, protein skimmer. Tank has been running 15 months. The water was perfect before I added 2 1\" clowns, A 2\" mandarin gobie, a 2\" coral beauty. After I added these fish one clown died at 3 days, the second clown died a week later. Coral beauty and mandarin are still alive. First clown couldn't be found, I couldn't find the second. Ammonia was reading .50 ppm just as the second clown died. Do you think it was a mistake introducing these four fish at one time? Or is there another issue with my tank?

Yes too many at once IMO and you should not have any ammonia reading......
Get your ammonia to an undetectable level and try another pair.....
Fish can be hit and miss IMO.....I have been seeing great success with all coral but some fish on the other hand.....not so much.....
They can get easily stressed and with new tank mates and such it can cause them to fall ill and die.....
My two cents....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kleko

It was deffinetly brooklynella. I had no idea of such a parasite. The clowns had exact symptoms of the parasite. Will it stay with the tank?? Will my coral beauty and mandarin be ok? I would love some more help.
Thanks

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Did you read also that this disease is brought on by ammonia......
Have you tested for ammonia again? Do you have pics of the sick clowns before they died?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.