Fish For A 40 Gallon , Need Advice

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Hey I have a 40 gallon tank and was wondering what kind of wrasses I can have in the tank

heath

Distinguished Member
try looking at chromis,they are small and a very pretty fish..I have a yellow tailed damsel in my tank, they are not your typical damsel and add a great pop of colour...

MrHermit85

I have a six line in my 40 breeder, they start out really small, have wonderful colours, are really active and easy to keep. They just eat like pigs

RWH

What about Bangai Cardinals or a Royal Gramma? I have both in my tank and they are nice! Or even Clownfish.
I have a Flame Angel but my tank is a 75 gallon...he does not eat any of the corals and feeds regular
on my seaweed clips...so I guess I got lucky with mine!

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I looked at all the other fish And I would love a wrasse or 2 ofcorse different species makes so they won't fight , and they would go withmy paird clowns and 1 fire fish = 5 fish in the tank would b fine

reef keeper

Super Active Member
In smaller systems some wrasses are a little intolerant of other wrasse. Plus they will eat all the pods etc fast. I'd probably look to limit it to a single wrasse

MrHermit85

A yellow wrasse can get up to 5 inches... mcoskerri and carpenters flasher wrasses, sixlines etc...are the smaller ones that only grow up to 3 inches and IMO are better suited for smaller tanks... wrasses are big swimmers and a 5 inch fish that loves darting in and out of rock work will need some room... this is just my opinion though so take it with a grain of salt but the sizes I gave you are accurate.

Last edited:

heath

Distinguished Member
Alright , so yellow wrasse it !
a yellow is not a good choice for your tank, there are a lot of different species that are better suited to your tank size..google wrasse and then check out LiveAquarium for their size..as other members has said try to stay around or under 3" max..

heath

Distinguished Member
in fresh water there is a kind of rule of thumb, 1" for every gallon, (not sure that it applies to sw) now that being said, remember that with our tanks we have rock so that will demish the volume of water..you might have only 30 gals to work with..