Fish Keep Dying

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
you dont mention if shallow well or deep well?i lived of a well with my tanks for 10yrs,shallow wells can be exsposed to all kinds of toxins as run off at different times of year and weather can contaminate a shallow well,also id also check out water flow,even a few areas with water that isnt moving can become deadly pockets of amonia,and other toxins

Skim

Maybe a bad batch of food. Did the frozen food thaw at any time. What foods is she feeding brand wise? How are the fish dying, are they going fast or are they just fading away, are they gasping, are their Gills flapping away like they want to fly or nice and calm? What are the colours like sharp and bright or dull?
I must admit that's one topic I do not think I have seen " Bad Food ". Just think about it as soon as something dies most of us go straight at water and parameters then it's not enough food or too much, I mean thousands of fish keepers could be losing fish to a bad batch of food and all would be wondering about water and how many times are fish dumped because it's not fit for human consumption what if that makes it to fish food. What about the Algae you are feeding what kind of nasties could have it absorbed. I know when a Beluga Whale dies in the St Lawrence, the remains are treated as Toxic Waste. We as Reef keepers and fish keepers will so easlly start ripping brands of salt when things go south, but never think of what we are putting into the water every time we feed, could the Heavy Metals be building up in water from foods? I read a article about Corals a while back and the Scientists could not understand why they were finding Uranium in Corals from the South Pacific and not from the Red Sea or pretty much anywhere else. Well lets see how many Nuclear Bomb test where done in the South Pacific and how much Nuclear waste was dump in the same area. It is amazing that in a span of 75 years we have almost tured areas of this Planet into Cesspools.
Just something to think about.

prism127

Diatomaceous filters are amazing at pulling impurities out of the water.
I'd also suggest to run the water tests yourself with your test kits. Ya never know when you're getting a false reading.
Also probably wouldn't hurt to have her go through what she's doing with you. It could be something simple like her process she uses for water changes.
Some carbon after the water change might help as well.
Good luck.

Sony Xperia Z3
I did the water tests with test kit and hers, there is no bad smells in the water The diatom cleared the water nicely but still losing fish. Wierd thing is she has a couple soft corals from me and they are doing great. Im going to run the diatom again this weekend for her. Has changed 5 buckets of water from my ro system. any other ideas would be great

prism127

you dont mention if shallow well or deep well?i lived of a well with my tanks for 10yrs,shallow wells can be exsposed to all kinds of toxins as run off at different times of year and weather can contaminate a shallow well,also id also check out water flow,even a few areas with water that isnt moving can become deadly pockets of amonia,and other toxins
Just found out the well is 78 ft deep

prism127

we added a better circulation pump and the nitrates shot up. Figure there may have been some nitrate pockets in the rocks and this may have killed the fish. got the nitrates down and added 1 new fish to see what happens. thanks everyone for the suggestions

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I myself do zero water changes on my system and only use tap water treated with prime not rodi. This time of year is really bad I normally only use 1 capful per bucket but at times like now with big melts and runoff the tds of the water skyrockets. If it is the iron or any other kind of heavy metal contamination I would suggest you add some prime to the tank water and run some extra carbon for a few weeks in a media reactor if no reactor a mesh bag in a high flow area will do. The prime will bind to pretty well anything you don't want making the particle large enough to get caught in the carbon where it normally won't ;) ..... How old is the house? Probably lots of lead soldered pipes underneath