Fluorescent orange... algae?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

becca_vienna

Not sure WHAT this is....
I need to find a way to get a good pic.

There is fluorescent orange stuff EVERYWHERE in my tank.. not a problem... Just bgging me that I haven't the slightest idea what it can be.
On one side of the tank is some rando blue coraline algae ( I THINK) that started to grow.. the new growth formations is lined with fluorescent orage.
On the OPPOSITE side of the tank little orange specks show up and disappear on a regular basis.
Actually driving me nuts what could possibly by this bright of orange. Will do my BEST to clear some algae and get a good pic!

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I have has fluorescent pink before, never orange. But it always goes away

P

phi delt reefer

i think its coraline algae.

i get it on the parts of my rocks that sort of in the sand. When i move my rocks to clean or something i notice it. It doesnt last long once its exposed to direct light. It usually dies off within a day or two.

spyd

Super Active Member
becca_vienna link said:
Not sure WHAT this is....
I need to find a way to get a good pic.

There is fluorescent orange stuff EVERYWHERE in my tank.. not a problem... Just bgging me that I haven't the slightest idea what it can be.
On one side of the tank is some rando blue coraline algae ( I THINK) that started to grow.. the new growth formations is lined with fluorescent orage.
On the OPPOSITE side of the tank little orange specks show up and disappear on a regular basis.
Actually driving me nuts what could possibly by this bright of orange. Will do my BEST to clear some algae and get a good pic!

Definitely take a pic! Is it all little specks? They may actually be flatworms. They are a rusty kind of colour. You can tell by using a Turkey baster and squirting some water at the spots. If they move and disperse, then they are flatworms. Just something to try for piece of mind.

iantower

I agree with phi delt, coraline that has been sitting covered in sand, turns from purple to orange or pink sometimes I find and glows brightly under actinics.

B

becca_vienna

The Blenny cleared some hair algae and it's definitely some kind of blue coraline plate-like algae!
The orange spots might just be some random algae because I tried with the feeding syringe to blast it with water and it didn't go anywhere!
It just kind of pops up in spots and fades away just as quickly as it showed up

Thanks everyone:)

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
Dead coraline does that for a while.

+1

Most red/purple algae will glow orange when they are dying back or first sprouting and their photosynthetic pigments are close to the surface of their tissues.  I watch for those spots on my rocks to find new growth of interesting macros before my powder blue gets them.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Here are some pics I took tonight of a red algae growing in my tank that has turned orange when put up against power heads......pics are of the "colony" haha and then also of the bit against the Powerhead.....look familiar?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.