Frag tank build help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff.l

I am slowly working to create a very unique nano frag tank.  I have run into issues already though.  The tanka that I will be using are pre drilled with a hole that is 5/8ths of an inch.  O have no idea where to get plumbing for something this small.  The actual drain will be easy and I am creating mini overflows out of acrylic but I don't know where to get any sort of bulkhead type fitting for the hole.  I will be putting tiny durso stand pipes on the tanks. 

Thanks

spyd

Super Active Member
That is a tough one!!! 5/8" hole would not allow a bulkhead fitting. Even a 1/4" bulkhead requires a larger hole than that. You may have to make your own.

You may be able to get away with a John Guest fitting like this one:

http://www.isopurewater.com/John-Guest-PI051223S-Stem-Adapter-38-Stem-X-38-NPTF-Gray_p_722.html

and then go to rubberline in kitchener and have them cut you a custom rubber gasket. You can then get a 3/8" lock nut easily enough. I am just not sure how effective these would be. I am thinking it would work though. The John Guest fitting can be picked up at Lowes. A 1/2" stem adaptor would be better if it will fit. These fittings have a flange at least so you can get a seal around the hole. I am just not sure if the threads are long enough for you.

The other option is to have somewhere like Plasco Welding (near London) fabricate some for you.... Not sure how much they would be asking though. You have definitely got to tap into your innner McGuiver on this one! lol.

spyd

Super Active Member
Also, maybe a 3/8" PVC male adaptor would work. The threaded portion should be under 5/8" diamater. You would still need a gasket though on one end and a locknut on the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.