Fragfest Dipping - Hitchhikers!

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Okay, now that everyone is settling in with their new frags, I would like to take the oportunity to remind people to DIP YOUR FRAGS!!!

I've been using the bayer method for ~5 years now. Current haul today: 1 astrea starfish, 2 pods, 1 micro brittle star, and what I swear looks like a white flatworm. All of them in the bottom of the dip bucket and hopefully not in the DT :)

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bayer-insecticide-as-a-coral-dip.100496/

My main worry is always and forever, red bugs, but flatworms are a close second, followed by pest starfish (the tiny brittle starfish have never really done any harm in my tank but I've never had a astrea breakout...so far.

The more of us that dip, the better as a lot of us swap frags as the years go on. CoralRX isn't good enough, it doesn't get some crabs and it for sure doesn't get red bugs. Bayer just socks the crap out of everything as far as I've experienced so far.

Take the frag off the plug, and follow the directions above. I go for the full 10ml-4oz mix, I'd rather lose a frag than miss a pest. I lost the war with aiptasia in the last tank, the last thing I want is to be fighting something new here, so a friendly reminder to all. Happy Reefing!!

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Red bugs are tough in that you have to dose the tank with interceptor to eradicate them, and that wreaks havok on shrimp, pods, hermits etc. I've never had flatworms so haven't had to battle them yet. Flatworm exit doesn't work?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Red bugs are tough in that you have to dose the tank with interceptor to eradicate them, and that wreaks havok on shrimp, pods, hermits etc. I've never had flatworms so haven't had to battle them yet. Flatworm exit doesn't work?

It does but typically the decaying /dead worms cause a problem on the bioload /p04 side of things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shamous113

I used Polyplab Reefprimer for the first time today and was amazed how quick it killed the little f%$@*rs.

Attachments

• IMG_2692.JPG
    IMG_2692.JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2690.JPG
    IMG_2690.JPG
    339 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2689.JPG
    IMG_2689.JPG
    413.7 KB · Views: 110

chrisstevens

Website
flybikes.wixsite.com
I have dosed 2x packs of flat worm exit 2x now 600gals worth each time, for 280 gal system and still had some left each time :mad:, though a lot did die. At least the interceptor worked for the red bugs. May have to try 3 packs next time.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I had to get it through my vet. They had to look up the usage before they would give it to me, because my dogs were on a different med for fleas/ticks/heartworm. It's not cheap.

chrisstevens

Website
flybikes.wixsite.com
I also got it from my vet, they had to put it under my dog, it was about $60 or $70 for 6 pills only used one to treat my system so have some just incase for the future. Have already exceeded that cost with the flat worm exit :(.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Yeah my vet just looked it up on the internet, saw that red bug removal was a legit thing, and marked it down as "for pet fish". Not really likely that I'm able to bring the fish in for an examination, so all was good. I couldn't mark it as being for my dogs because they are on sentinel.

It took 2 doses over something like a month to get them all 100%, I don't think the first dose gets the eggs so they can come back, I had a small secondary outbreak a week or two after the initial treatment if I recall correctly.

Josh

Crazy the little tricks you can find that work better than targeted meds/treatments.

Nick James

Yeah my vet just looked it up on the internet, saw that red bug removal was a legit thing, and marked it down as "for pet fish". Not really likely that I'm able to bring the fish in for an examination, so all was good. I couldn't mark it as being for my dogs because they are on sentinel.

It took 2 doses over something like a month to get them all 100%, I don't think the first dose gets the eggs so they can come back, I had a small secondary outbreak a week or two after the initial treatment if I recall correctly.

I believe they are live bearers.. but I can't find much information on them, so this may be "false news"..

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I believe they are live bearers.. but I can't find much information on them, so this may be "false news"..
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/3/corals

Most of the pests like this have eggs/egg sacs, I remember reading a paper on the red and black bugs that specified eggs. Like fleas/lice. Not 100% of course, but I think it would explain the reason they recommend 3 treatments for full cure.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I've only ever used 3 tabs in total, on 150 gallons. You crush them into powder and use them, I think the dosage was really really small. So get the minimum you can, and then keep the bayer handy so that they don't ever slip through! :)