Fragging Bubble Coral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seggsy

Not very much recent literature about this on the net, but I gave it a shot.  Had a temp swing to 89 when a heater got stuck on that I thought had killed it, but at 3 weeks, I have a healthy looking frag!

chief hill

Scary knowing heaters don't typically fail safe. 
Time to look into an apex controller. 
Nice save.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Seggsy

Thanks - I was pretty happy it worked.  Was a bit big for the spot I have in mind for my display, and I wanted to try it.  May try one more frag in a month or two.

And I did the only sensible thing to do when a heater fails and tries to fry an entire tank - I flicked it and it started working again.  THAT ought to do it.

Seggsy

It's not too complicated - just be careful and patient.

The goal is to cut through the skelleton from the back (definitely don't dremel the flesh).  Then slowly wedge open the cut until the skelleton cracks. 

The GOAL is to crack it gently enough to NOT tear the flesh.  Then put some kind of spacer between the pieces of skeleton so they don't grow back together (I just used a skewer folded in half) and start stretching the flesh across the gap over a week or two until it pulls apart on it's own.  Dosing iodine is supposed to help too.  I did tear some of the flesh when it broke, but it still recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.