Fragging Newbie - To Transplant Or Not

Dave Dobson

Just a question about buying frags and setting them up for success. I see these reefs with large beds of certain corals that I've seen and bought on single plugs. Do you typically leave the coral on the plug and just leave it to grow and spread or is it recommended to transplant the coral from the plug to a larger rock to start it's life there? Thanks for any input!

dale

usually leave it on the plug,, stick plug in a hole or drill a hole where you want it, or use epoxy putty for aquariums to stick to rocks,,,,, those big colonies will prob have a plug of some sort in there somewhere..

Kman

Super Active Member
I use a thick gel type super glue and put a dab on the bottom of the frag and glue it in place on the rockwork. If you do glue new frags be careful to adjust the lighting level lower as to not shock the coral.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I always cut the bottom "peg" off the frag plug. And if I want it more natural looking. I'll trim the round plug where the frag is mounted to give it more if an uneven natural look. Then use a thick coral glue and glue it in place. Even under water without taking any rocks out.

Last edited:

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
personally i just epoxy in the plug since it will be covered by coral after a few months but if you do put it on the rock directly you will find it establishes and grows faster.... once my corals make it past the plug to the rock it grows like wildfire