Fragging or moving sponges

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

STUEYHAWKINS

Hey everyone

Have a question on how to frag or relocate sponges.

I have a blue sponge that has a chalice coral now growing on the live rock that it is placed on.  This chalice now appears to be starting to invade and grow over my spong. Is there any safe way to frag my sponge off that rock or reattach it to another one. I have been searching YouTube and the net but can't find any good videos to help

Any instructions you can give me or links ect.

Or if anyone lives in the Markham area that wants to show me how.

Thanks for your time

Stu

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Police_bear.gif

Google can be a viscous site. As an example, there was a girl on a forum I was on in the past, she posted her email address on a post. She was also chatting about how happy she is now that she is single and her ex-husband has no idea where she is. Within 5 minutes, I had a picture of her house, her, her kids and knew all of her hobbies. Now this does not always happen that easily, but ... well ... it is nice to keep some privacy.

Same this happens with phone numbers. Just use 411.ca. Also people use google to find phone numbers to use for telemarketing. Which is an industry I had been in for years.

S

STUEYHAWKINS

lol you have officially scared the crap out of me and I will never do that again.

but do you guys know anyway to help in my delema ?

S

STUEYHAWKINS

I saw this online ... do people agree with this process or have other ideas

Instructions
Attach a plastic toothpick to the rock, sharp side out, using a tank-safe epoxy like Aqua Mend (available at home and garden shops). Do this while the rock is out of the water, and allow the epoxy to dry. Keep in mind that live rock will die if it's out of the water for too long, so don't leave it out any longer than absolutely necessary for the epoxy to dry adequately.

Put the live rock back into the water. Gently slide the base of the sponge onto the toothpick, and push until the base of the sponge is touching the rock. The sponge will grow around the toothpick and onto the rock.

Monitor the sponge. Although it should receive plenty of water circulation for feeding, too much movement may knock the sponge off the toothpick and cause damage.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I think your looking into this way too far..  its a sponge.. pry/cut/break/pull it off and glue it where ever you would like its new home to be.

S

STUEYHAWKINS

hahah thanks Duke .... I am still a newby lol and will be my first time fragging something....  but thanks for the confidence you just made it feel not so stressful.

also I saw on the web too that people put a piece of sponge in the blender and through it back in the tank to cultivate it... anyone heard of that works? 

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
STUEYHAWKINS link said:
hahah thanks Duke .... I am still a newby lol and will be my first time fragging something....  but thanks for the confidence you just made it feel not so stressful.

also I saw on the web too that people put a piece of sponge in the blender and through it back in the tank to cultivate it... anyone heard of that works?

it might but i would never try it... ive also heard similar stories with mushrooms. Thats not something i would advice though.
Try break/cut a piece off the sponge and glue it to a small piece of rock rubble and place it in your tank. See if it dies or grows, easiest way to learn something is try IMO :)

S

STUEYHAWKINS

thanks Duke your advise worked... I was totally looking way to much into it... I jiggled the sponge softly until it detached from the rock and chalice and relocated the sponge... a couple pieces broke off and so wedged them into gaps in the stones.. its been about a week and a half and everything is still alive.. the big piece hasnt attached yet to a rock but the small ones have.

thanks so much for all of your help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.