frags, and how to keep safe over a period of hours while travelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I'm wondering how those who do the frag runs and drops keep the frags in  good shape for hours while on the road? We're headed out on the weekend to pick up a light and possibly some frags thrown in as well.  We'll be stopping at a friends in the area for supper and a visit. So the info I'm looking for is how to be sure the frags (should we get any) can handle the trip. Styrofoam cooler, any tips? How do they ship them from the supplier? they'd be in the bag for a long time.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
SunnyKita aka Sherry

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Styrofoam container is about all I have used, and sometimes for the better part of 6 hours or more before acclimation starts. Just do not leave them in the car to freeze while at your friends house.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Another factor I have found is the size of the frag......established colonies ship much better IMO and can stay in a bag longer with adequate temp.
How long will the frags be in transit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
you could add another small Ziplock full of warmer water into the cooler to keep the heat up.. just don't over do it.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
If you freeze them right away they may go into stasis.  Just thaw them out in a microwave when you get home, should be good.  :)

sunnykita

Super Active Member
hey thanks guys - I'm thinking probably 4 to 6 hours. Thanks Brandon, I have a few styro coolers. Being an old freshwater fish person I usually have at least one styro cooler in the car most of the time. You never know what you might find when you're out and about.
I'd never leave them in the vehicle, good thought tho. some might. We were wondering about using those heat packs that last about 8 hours. Any thoughts? Good? Bad? or really bad idea?
sunnykita aka Sherry

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker you crack me up !! thanks for the chuckle ! will they flop around on the counter like the fish do?

Salty Cracker link said:
If you freeze them right away they may go into stasis.  Just thaw them out in a microwave when you get home, should be good.  :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
sunnykita link said:
Salty Cracker you crack me up !! thanks for the chuckle ! will they flop around on the counter like the fish do?

[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=3905.msg34669#msg34669 date=1357067503]
[/quote]

If they're flopping around you -may- not have coral frags, you may have fish or puppies instead (common mistake).  No matter what, they shouldn't move at all once they freeze!

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Haha
Experiment -  before I left for the evening last night I took the front half of the glass off of the 65 - another trial by fire, thank goodness I didn't come home to a new type of catfish floating in the tank. The 6 month old feline, non finned or scaled variety. No flopping fish, puppies or catfish ! experiment a success ! All inhabitants of the tank looked great!
Even better what a grand time some of the Woodstock group had last night socializing without mentioning our addiction. Imagine that?
Makes me think that we should try and plan a get together for more of the Woodstock area group to get to gether and get to know one another - and those from out of the area too !
I'm having a great time with this fun bunch of people here ! thanks for hosting such a wonderful site !
Thanks everyone for the ideas, will let you know how the trip and bringing home the frags goes !
sunnykita aka Sherry

If they're flopping around you -may- not have coral frags, you may have fish or puppies instead (common mistake).  No matter what, they shouldn't move at all once they freeze!
[/quote]

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Reef Hero link said:
Another factor I have found is the size of the frag......established colonies ship much better IMO and can stay in a bag longer with adequate temp.
How long will the frags be in transit?

im not sure what you mean but smaller frags utilize less O2 and can handle longer shipping times easier generally speaking.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I have lost a few frags that were very small.....and whenever I bought a colony it seemed to do very well in transit and colours were there immediately when I put into my tank.....this is just my experience but I see exactly what you mean Darryl.

spyd

Super Active Member
They will be fine for 6 hrs in a cooler. As mentioned, just bring them inside so they don't sit in the car and get too cold. When you get home, just be sure to float them for 1/2 hr or so before placing them in your tank. And, if they are coming from a tank that you are not familiar with, i would dip them as well.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
thanks so much,
what type of dip would you use for the corals before placing them in the tank?

spyd link said:
They will be fine for 6 hrs in a cooler. As mentioned, just bring them inside so they don't sit in the car and get too cold. When you get home, just be sure to float them for 1/2 hr or so before placing them in your tank. And, if they are coming from a tank that you are not familiar with, i would dip them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.