From Around The Water Cooler

Pipes

Hi all.
I've been thinking of some things lately that you may find funny. Things that I have either come across personally, or have happened to reliable sources close to me. Mostly plumbing related...

I went to a customers house a couple of weeks ago to fix their RO. They had purchased it from Water Depot and installed it themselves. We call it cash and carry. They read the instructions, hooked it up, and couldn't make it work. So the service tech gets dispatched... After I checked all the filters, tap, and followed all of the tubing, I started disconnecting tubing and running water into a pail. Filters were ok. Post membrane was ok. Pressure tank seemed ok. Had water running out the drain line. I was baffled. Then I took the drain saddle off. Low and behold, they hadn't drilled a hole in the ABS drain. So I drilled the hole, Hooked it back up, and handed them a bill for $95+tax.

Another one that I have never forgotten, happened to my Journeyman. He went to a house where a guy had a leak that wouldn't stop dripping. The customer had replaced all of the copper pipe in his house. And only 1 leak. Upon inspection my journeyman found yellow goo all over the copper pipe around where the guy had tried to stop the leak. Apparently he went to Home Depot bought all the copper pipe and the Home Depot employee told him to use ABS glue to seal the copper instead of soldering...

I had a customer in Ingersoll call me up to ask why their RO water "tasted funny". I went over and they explained that they had a plumber over to take the RO out, so they could replace the cabinets. They had also noticed that the plumber took quite some time to replace the RO, then made a hasty retreat at the end of the job. I checked it over then followed the tubing. Water in - ok. Filter housings not leaking - ok. Then noticed that there was a T before the membrane, where there shouldn't have been one. There was another T post membrane. So to shorten the story the membrane had been bypassed, and they were drinking filtered tap water. If you have ever drank water in Ingersoll, even filtered, you would not be impressed. Our city water has a flavor AND an odor.

Anything like these happen to you???

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
I'm in sales for a building supply company. This is definitely a great story for people to do there home work before they hire a contractor or attempt to do work themselves. There are some bad contractors out there and others who no shit about anything. But there many great contractors out there. Do your homework and be knowledgeable before you start something. .. great stories thanks for sharing​

Pipes

I always like to quote Home Depot. BUT with the fine print attached. "You can do it. We can help". "but maybe you shouldn't". There are some people who lack common sense, but due to, shall we say, "bravado", think they can.

Guess my signature below sais it...

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I worked in dispute resolution resolving BBB cases for one of the big 3 auto manufactures. Some repair orders I have seen I will remember for the rest of my life. One person was complaining about a metal chinging or slinky like sound inside the car. The Repair Order repair was listed as: Removed Slinky from center console. Another was complaining about a hollow clunk when they accelerated quickly and every time they stopped. The shop tech backed the car out of the garage half way, then put it into forward and parked it back in the garage. He popped the trunk and the Repair Order said: Removed Vacuum extension wand from trunk.

One of my favorites is a guy who had filed a 'Lemon Law' case due to his car repeated having a wet passenger side floor carpet and it smelled musky and moldy. Several dealerships could not find any reason for the moldy water and it ended up going to court arbitration. The day before, they guy called me to cancel the meeting. Turns out his wife kept spilling her tea and she didn't want to piss him off. She didnt think he would go as far as he did. LoL.

Another is a guy who's passenger side front seat in his Cadillac kept braking at the base. He had it replaced 3 times within a year under warranty, but now the dealership wants to charge him for the repairs. Now the owner of the car was about 5' and he was all of 90 lbs per a dealership conversation that I had. They said the reason that it keeps braking was that his girlfriend is well over 500lbs and she lands so hard in the car that it keeps cracking the base of seat. The killer is that he won in legal arbitration for lifetime repairs on the base or related repairs...basically...there is no weight limit listed for the seats.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have enough stories to write a book. I have worked in call centers for 10 years, cable services, mail in rebates, and customer service as well as arbitration for a big 3 auto manufacture.

Pipes

Too bad there isn't a warranty clause that sais "common sense applies". OR. "Dealership may charge for stupidity". That's what I refer to as ASSHOLE TAX (A.H.T.).