Garage / Shop Heating

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I have a garage/shop that is completely detached from my house. Measures about 20ft x18ft. Anyone know the best type of heater to make it warm enough to work in during the winter months? Given i have young children, and a wife that basically works whenever I'm not, i want something that will heat it up quickly since I can usually only work on projects for an hour or two at a time. I don't like the idea of using propane, but i'm thinking that might be the only viable option. Suggestions of make/model/type?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

averhoog

Jeff def do not use a eddy heater those are for outside heat only they don't have an exhaust and the carbon monoxide will be unbearable in minutes and the fumes will be really bad you need a forced air or radiant tube heater. Something with an exhaust pipe that goes outside or run electric heat. If not using very much there electric radiant heaters with fans that might do the trick

noobwithatank

My inlaws have been looking at a waste oil heater for the dry shed. It uses used car oil as a source for heat burning. It is costly but he can get used oil for free.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Jeff def do not use a eddy heater those are for outside heat only they don't have an exhaust and the carbon monoxide will be unbearable in minutes and the fumes will be really bad you need a forced air or radiant tube heater. Something with an exhaust pipe that goes outside or run electric heat. If not using very much there electric radiant heaters with fans that might do the trick

I don't think electric is going to cut it (i've tried 3 different types). Just about every description I've read for the style I mentioned says they are suitable for garage/workshops. I suppose if you use too big a heater in too small a space, the fumes could become an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Hummer

I have one of these in my Garage

http://www.tscstores.com/MR-HEATER-50000-BTU-BIG-MAXX-HEATER-P17920.aspx#.WCCiDvkrJhE

Shop never gets below 10 degree's in the winter, and heats up to 20 degree's within a couple minutes.

Mine runs on Natural Gas, However in you don't have a Gas Line to your Shop, you can convert them to Run on Propane!

They can be found cheaper then at TSC Store (I paid $399 for mine years ago) Add the vent kit, and your good to go.

Or search Kijiji for a used Shop Heater.