Gate Valve Lubricant Question

Nick James

I received my King Brothers gate valves in the mail. They are potable water safe, so I assumed reef tank safe. They have a lubricant on the gate which will come in contact with the water passing through. Is there a way, outside of contacting the manufacturer to find out if it is silicone lubricant or not? Is anyone familiar with these valves that may know whether this is reef safe?

thehvacman

Just because it says its good for potable water doesn't mean that it is safe to use on saltwater. What is it made out of? Cooper and brass are rated for potable water, but would poison your tank. Most pvc valves that I've seen don't have any lubricant in them, only the metal ones do.

Josh

toss the valve in a bucket of salt water and add a small piece of liverock see what happens. I have seen plastic valves with silicate based lubricant before.

Nick James

Just because it says its good for potable water doesn't mean that it is safe to use on saltwater. What is it made out of? Cooper and brass are rated for potable water, but would poison your tank. Most pvc valves that I've seen don't have any lubricant in them, only the metal ones do.

It is a schedule 40 pvc gate valve. The reviews online are positive and people have said they use it on their aquariums, which is why I bought it. But no where does anyone mention that there was lubricant inside of theirs.

thehvacman

[Qfeelinggood@citymail.org UOTE="Nick James, post: 264860, member: 1080"]It is a schedule 40 pvc gate valve. The reviews online are positive and people have said they use it on their aquariums, which is why I bought it. But no where does anyone mention that there was lubricant inside of theirs.[/QUOTE]
Ok, as long as it's pvc thats good. Maybe give it a good wash out with warm water and dawn soap. Good luck.